Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2009 23:00

To The Dell Moderator who deleted my post....TELL ME WHY???????

What in this post is considered in violation of the terms of service...?

Well...I decided t run the Malware program that's been listed here....and it found 13 things wrong...trojans/malware, etc. I told it to delete all of the "bad" stuff but it appears that it just quarantined it. Then I reran the program and so far.....it's found 1 problem again already.... It's still running.Meanwhile AVAST has found a root kit virus that it can't do much with...I move it to the "chest" and then poof...it's back. I am not really sure how to get the recovery partition going? Someone suggested using the Crtl and F11, but unless I have to do something special ....those commands don't do anything??? Do I have to do this during the boot sequence? I am SOOO leaning towards loading the recovery discs that came last night in the mail from Dell...and then booting from it and reformatting and reinstalling everything. If I would have done that this morning I would most likely already have been done...LOL Anyone else have any suggestions before I give up the ghost and reformat?

*******I am now on the Spyware Hammer website getting this taken care of (hopefully) or I will reformat...******

Thanks again....

Bruce

I think it's kind of stupid to send me an email stating that you deleted my post...with no real reason...and no way to reply. Objectionable words....where?

Your post contains language that we believe to be harassing, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable. Use of such language violates the Terms of Service, and must be deleted in order to allow your post. Prohibited words and phrases include those in which certain letters have been replaced with alternate characters. Unlawful language may include any statements that might reasonably be interpreted as a violation of the intellectual property rights of any person, including a trademark, copyright or patent

Nice....

Please let me know what I did wrong....I'm sure I am not the only one that this happened to....

Finally, why would you delete the entire chain of answers in the post from other members???

Waiting to see what you have to say....

BTW< I got my computer fixed on the SpyWare Hammer stie...by someone willing to take the time to help me...

14.4K Posts

April 12th, 2009 07:00

Asterisks are considered character substitution and in violation of the TOS

And for your info  the same folks that are on Spyware hammer are the same folks that work the Dell malware/virus boards. So you would have gotten fixed here just as well. so don't go bashing the folks working the boards here.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

April 12th, 2009 07:00

Bruce,

first off, be advised I am not the moderator [or more likely, an "automated robot"] that censored your post.   I can only speculate that the likely reason why your post got auto-censored was for the inclusion of multiple asterisks  on the line where you mentioned SpywareHammer.

While there was nothing blatantly objectionable in your doing so, it's often the case that other people use asterisks as a substitute for an curse/expletive.   an automated filter, being "dumb", does not distinguish between asterisks that are used in place of an expletive, vs. asterisks simply used to call attention (as you were doing here).   It simply censors both cases.

If so, I'm sure you'll say this was "overkill", and personally, I'd agree with you [if that's the reason].   But until they can make the smut-filter "smart" enough to distinguish between these different uses of asterisks, they apparently decided to ban both, rather than risk something expletive-based get posted in the forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for deleting other peoples posts, again, the forum software (or even human intervention) typically over-reacts.   for example, if the first post of a thread contains an objectionable statement, you'll often find that the ENTIRE post is removed!    the basis for doing so is that, if they were to simply remove the first (objectionable) post, the responses that followed it would then appear out of context.   so they simply wipe it all.

again, overkill.  

but the only way to for them to do it "right" would be to have human editors here 24/7, to manually read each and every post made on the entire forum... and that just ain't gonna happen anytime soon (if ever)

37 Posts

April 12th, 2009 12:00

DaveT,

Nobody is bashing anyone...I am fully aware that the same people who are there are also here.

Talk about reading information into someones's post that isn't there...Also, I have been on this board for quite a while as well...Check my join date.

For you to say anything about that is not needed....and not appreciated in the least. I am glad that on this Easter Sunday (of all days) you have such a wonderful demeanor.

Since this post will probably also get deleted by the bots that check for stuff like asterisks (oh brother),,,I guess it really doesn't matter,

My point was that the "bots" that sent me the message that my post was deleted should have also given me the chance to remove the objectionable material first (the asterisks). Now, anyone who had a similar problem to mine will not find anything that could possibly help them...something that I think that this board is intended for...

To KY331 who responded...thanks for the info. No more asterisks for me....

Happy Easter to all...

Over and out.

Bruce

1 Message

April 12th, 2009 15:00

I'm curious if the rest of the thread that was deleted contained helpful info. I've been trying to remove this virus for 3 weeks and am getting ready to trash everything and reinstall with Unix!

37 Posts

April 12th, 2009 19:00

Here's the thread that I started at Spyware Hammer...in case it might help someone. http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=3003.0

I am completely clean now....:emotion-11:

37 Posts

April 13th, 2009 11:00

So can we edit the original post and remove the asterisks and re-post it so that there is an opporuntity for someone who may be haing the same problem that I did...know that there are different options available to them?

If not, I understand.

I actually got an email notification similar to the one I just received when I posted something in the forums a few months ago...

I used to list what computers I had...the video cards, etc...and the SERVICE TAG number (everyone used to list them back then as part of their signature)...apparently that's a no no on the boards now....so a notification was sent to me letting me know that...and it allowed me to edit out the SERVICE TAG info and the "bots" didn't delete my post....LOL

And no...this one incident won't steer me away from this forum! I have learned A LOT from the kind and generous people here...

Looking forward to your response.

Have a great day...

Bruce

April 13th, 2009 11:00

Hello,

I regret the email notification did not indicate that the asterisk sequence was the cause of the post removal.  All posts in the Dell Forums fall under that policy.  You have been a member of the forums since 1999, we hope this incident has not permanently steered you away from us.

Greatest regards,

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

April 13th, 2009 16:00

As mentioned HERE

"Normally, if one of us catches something like that right after it is posted, we can immediately ask the poster to edit the post."

No Events found!