Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2008 23:00

Trend micro antivirus

I just installed trend micro antivirus plus antispyware 2008 it shut off windows defender. Can I cut it back on or can I not use windows defender now?

Thanks.

Sandavis

301 Posts

July 26th, 2008 03:00

I previously had Trend Micro on my PC and when I had Trend Micro AV and Windows Defender running in real time my CPU was always around 50%.  Checked Trend's website and a few forums and the two products do not play nicely together.  Once I disabled Windows Defender and used Trend AS the CPU usage was back to normal.  

July 27th, 2008 16:00

Trend Micro will not allow 3rd party antispyware to run if you are using Trend Micro' antispyware detection.  This is a major flaw of the product.  TM's spy detection is not real time and I consider it an inferior product.  Spybot search and destroy, (free) or Spy Doctor ($29.95) block malware real time as does Windows Defender.
Message Edited by paindoc on 07-27-2008 12:19 PM

281 Posts

July 27th, 2008 17:00

paindoc I am confused about your post the  trend microantivirus and antispyware 2008 version has a place for you to check to turn on real time protection against virus and spyware . It turned off windows defender when I installed it.

Thanks,

Sandavis

301 Posts

July 28th, 2008 02:00

Trend Micro does have a stand alone AV, but I believe you have the version with a AV/AS.  It does provide real-time protection against viruses and spyware.  I would not recommend turning on Windows Defender with the real-time AS protection because I think they operate in a similar fashion, which may lead to a conflict with the programs.     
Message Edited by beversoll on 07-27-2008 10:16 PM

July 28th, 2008 15:00

The check mark turns on real time antivirus protection but not spyware blocking  After every internet session, you will find the same list of spyware to be removed again and again, and occasionally, a trojan that was unblocked.  Windows Defender will not run with the AV protection checked.  I do not care for Trend Micro.  The 2007 version allowed 3rd party spyware programs, the 2008 version does not.

July 28th, 2008 15:00

Having suffered through several problems with TM, I no longer use it.  It is possible to manually add URLs to be be blocked, but, this is unsatisfactory and difficult.  My TM 2008 stopped working after updating to XP SP3

301 Posts

July 29th, 2008 02:00

The Trend Micro product I have is the full fledged bloated version, but I did a custom install and included only the AV/AS and a few mail scanners. It does offer real-time Spyware protection, although I cannot attest to its effectiveness. To block bad URL's I use SpywareBlaster, which has worked flawlessly with Trend Micro.

Message Edited by beversoll on 07-28-2008 10:46 PM

395 Posts

July 29th, 2008 03:00

Just my opinion here.  Not a fan of Trend Micro.  Not a fan of anything Microsoft other than it's O.S. except Vista and ME, sorry for the bad language in that.

159 Posts

December 8th, 2010 10:00

I agree with you Rim Shot. Trend Micro products can not compete with other great security companies. But its better than Microsoft Windows defender. I just to use another software instead of Trend Micro and if insist on using it, Don't worry about windows defender because windows defender is not comparable with even Rend Micro.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

December 8th, 2010 11:00

bestis1980, you have posted to a topic that is over two years old.  Products change over the years.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

December 8th, 2010 12:00

Okay, I realize a two-year old thread has been reopened here.   Nonetheless, I must take exception to one new statement by Bestis:   .

"But it [Trend Micro i]s better than Microsoft Windows defender".

Windows Defender is NOT an antivirus program!   (Microsoft Security Essentials, which includes its own "version" of Windows Defender, IS an antivirus program.)

Defender was/is NOT intended to replace an anti-virus program, rather, it is intended to supplement  "pure" anti-virus programs [well, if there is such a creature nowadays] by adding anti-"malware" protection.    Even today, Defender remains compatible with (i.e., can be run alongside of) many anti-virus programs [though some debate its merits].   For what it's worth, I am running Windows Defender along with Avast5, without experiencing any noticeable slowdowns/conflicts.

5.8K Posts

December 8th, 2010 13:00

I agree with ky331.

My experience with Windows Defender in XP/sp3 has been excellent over the past 2 years. It has allowed nothing through, and promptly detects a lot of changes I make. I have never seen any incompatabilty between WD and any of the standalone defenses I use. (AVG will disable it, but then I don't use or recommend AVG, which objects to so many other programs). I have yet to find a better free antispyware program for XP.

A good review of the potential benefits of WD, by a security expert I respect, is here:
http://naut.homestead.com/files/Free/castner.html

No Events found!