Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

November 12th, 2019 04:00

Updates 11/12/19 - "Microsoft Tuesday", MyPal

Today is "Microsoft Tuesday" --- the SECOND Tuesday of the month --- on which Microsoft is expected to release its monthly cycle of Windows security updates. Based on previous history, they should become available at 1 P.M. [USA - Eastern STANDARD Time]

------------------

Please use Windows/Automatic Updates to determine which updates are applicable to your particular system. For more information, see https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/summary

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

November 12th, 2019 08:00

MyPal  28.7.2 (11/1219)

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

Remark:   MyPal is a PaleMoon "clone", which is still updated to run on XP (as well as newer systems)

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 12th, 2019 16:00

Malicious Software Removal Tool KB890830 failed to install on my Win 7Pro, 32-bit, PC today. The MSE update, a Win 7 rollup and an Office update all installed ok.

Used Windows Update to look for MSRT, but it just searches endlessly. Went to the MS catalog to download it but there are 2 different .exe listed when I click the Download button for the x86 version, with no explanations of what the 2 are, if I need to run both of them, and in what order?

Anybody else have a problem with MSRT today?

EDIT: The MSRT update error message is 800B0109

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 12th, 2019 16:00

A quick glance at the MS forum and there are already a bunch of users reporting that KB890830 failed on Win 7, both 32- and 64-bit today...

At least it's not just me...misery loves company...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 13th, 2019 11:00

If anyone is still having issues installing the KB890830 (MSRT) update in Win 7 or any other OS, read a solution that works for some -including me- on the MS forum.

FWIW, I received new update via WU today for my Win 7+SP1, 32-bit PC:
Servicing stack update for Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1
We strongly recommend you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). Installing servicing stack updates (SSU) makes sure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft security fixes.

I didn't install this SSU until after I used the fix posted on the MS forum, but I wonder if that's why the MSRT update wouldn't install in the first place..?

EDIT: I posted this while MSRT was running in the background. During the scan it indicated 4 infected files, but at the end it said "No malicious software was detected".
Time to run MBAM and SAS, again...

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

November 13th, 2019 13:00

Ron,

I don't have any more Win7 systems, so I can't talk about what's happening on them.   On Win10 and 8.1, the MSRT installed/ran okay.

As for it finding "infected" files which subsequently "disappear" --- which I've seen happen on occasion with the MSRT --- I think what's happening is that a preliminary/quick scan finds something "suspicious" with the file, which requires deeper scanning/analysis, but that, the deeper scan ultimately concludes the file is actually safe... so there's no infection in the final statistics.   If that's truly the case, you should be safe.   (But if you have the time to run a secondary scan, it couldn't hurt.   I'd go only with MBAM only... SAS seems to be almost worthless at this point).

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 13th, 2019 16:00

@ky331  - Thanks for the response.

Lots of people still using Win 7 PCs even though support officially ends in ~8 weeks. You'd have thunk MS could get Win 7 updates right after supporting this OS all these years. Guess not, with so many peeps reporting the same MSRT update issue...

A few .exe files in the Program Files folder were scanned multiple times by MSRT today so maybe that was the deeper scanning you mentioned. MBAM came up clean - Yea!

FWIW, after I installed that servicing stack update (KB4523206) today, my Aero desktop theme stopped working. Don't know if related to the KB install, but the Aero Troubleshooter said Desktop Windows Manager service wasn't running and fixed it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 14th, 2019 12:00

Microsoft pulled the Nov'19 MSRT KB890830 update from Windows Update for Win 7 systems. It seems they made a mistake "signing" the update package, meaning it wouldn't pass SHA-2 security requirements.

Win 7 users will need to have KB4523206 installed to enable the PC to use SHA-2 security, which is needed to run MSRT KB890830, now that the signature has been fixed, and other Windows Updates in the future, so make sure you have this one installed.

Then go to Microsoft Update Catalog to download/run the Nov'19 MSRT for 32- or 64-bit Win 7+SP1 from there.  

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 00:00

Please suggest me an antivirus which I can use for my laptop and mobile phones. I am currently using McAfee antivirus which is free and I think it is not working for me. Please suggest me some good antivirus which is available free in the market.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 20th, 2019 12:00

@Johnwick01- Always include the version of Windows in your posts.

You didn't say why you think McAfee isn't working for you. And it isn't free. You may either have a 30-day free trial or possibly Dell included a 1-year McAfee subscription in the price of your PC. Either way, it will have to be purchased when the trial or subscription ends.

If you don't like McAfee, you could uninstall it and use Microsoft's built-in Windows Defender which is free. Be sure to register/activate McAfee at their site before you uninstall it so you can download/reinstall it for free within the time limits of your trial or subscription, if you change your mind...

And others probably will have recommendations for other free anti-malware apps too...

1 Message

December 11th, 2019 02:00

Can anyone suggest my best laptop for hardcore office work with I5 and the latest generation within the 50k range? I am currently using an old laptop with an I3 processor which I have brought from the   store. Please help me out. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 10:00

jamesmith01 looks like a spammer/scammer...

Don't click the link in that post!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 12:00

Wasn't allowed to edit my previous post, but the spam/scam post I mentioned right above has been deleted by the moderators. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 28th, 2020 08:00

Looks like another spammer in this thread.

For your own security, don't click or  trust the link...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 28th, 2020 09:00

@RoHe wrote:

Looks like another spammer in this thread.

For your own security, don't click or  trust the link...

Won't let me edit my 4-28-20 post, but another spam post has hit the dust bin! 

No Events found!