Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2008 18:00

Virus Protection

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP-SP2. I also have installed the McAfee Security Suite. I have used Mcafee for around 2 or 3 years and have had no major problems.

I also have AD-Aware SE personal and Spybot-Search and Destroy, both of which I run about every 30 days to look for anything that McAfee might not have found. I am unable to update the file definitions for Ad-Aware. I have tried to disable my firewall temporarily(very reluctantly) but it still stops after about 5% of the files downloaded. According to their website, temporarily disabling the firewall should make the update work.

Anyway, I am looking for something to replace AD-Aware. The new AD-Aware 2007 forces you to download an Ask.com toolbar, according to what I have read, and I don't want/need that. It also seems to be a resource hog.

So will the free edition of Winpatrol 2007 work? Or will that conflict with my Mcafee? Is it not a standalone, run when you want type of virus protection?

Any other recommendations for a replacement that I can run about every 30 days or so.

Thanks for any help and recommendations you can give me. I am not ahuge techy person.

Rich  

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

February 15th, 2008 20:00

you wrote:  "I also have AD-Aware SE personal... I am unable to update the file definitions for Ad-Aware."

be advised that ad-aware SE is obsolete... they discontinued updates for it as of December '07.    that's why you can't update it anymore.   do NOT disable your firewall to try to get them!!!

my recommendation is to replace ad-aware with [one or both of] the following two on-demand scanners:

SuperAntiSpyware (FREE Edition for Home Users) [Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, Vista, 2003 and XP Home/Pro]
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (Scanner/Remover is FREE) [Windows 2000, XP, Vista]
====================
=======================
As for WinPatrol, I consider it another "must have" program.... HOWEVER, I believe you've misunderstood its function:
it is NOT a VIRUS protection program.
NOR is it a "scanner", which you "run" once every 30 days.
rather:
1)  it runs "continually" in the background, monitoring your system for changes in auto-startup programs, changes in IE "browser helper objects", changes in auto-startup services, and similar items.   YOU have to tell it whether to accept or deny the proposed changes... so it does require a certain amount of interaction (and knowledge) on your part.   Generally, if you know you're installing a new program [including Windows Updates], and you get a message from winpatrol that the program is trying to do something, you'll want to allow it.   but if you weren't installing a program, and you suddenly/unexpectedly get a message from winpatrol the "something" is trying to add itself to your startup, you probably would want to deny it.
2) winpatrol is a great startup manager (similar to MSConfig) which allows you to stop/disable the many programs that insist on starting-up everytime you boot windows.   if you make the right choices here, you can greatly speed-up your boot-up time.
Message Edited by ky331 on 02-15-2008 05:57 PM

31 Posts

February 16th, 2008 12:00

Thanks a lot. I will take a look at both of them. I really hesitated to temporarily disable my firewall, but that was a suggestion from them.  I also will take a closer look at Winpatrol. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

no problem with the "misunderstanding".... we're here to help and learn.

when you run SuperAntiSpyware, go for the COMPLETE scan.   it may take a long time (e.g., 45 minutes), but it's worth it.

for MalwareBytes AntiMalware, the QuickScan should find all/most significant problems.

in either case, be sure to CHECK FOR UPDATES before scanning.

by the way, I'm taking for granted you still have McAfee Security ---- meaning I'm assuming you're running a resident anti-virus, resident anti-spyware, and firewall.   if that's not the case, be sure to let us know.

31 Posts

Yup!!!I still have Mcafee--for the next 2 years. I just renewed it. Thanks again.

No Events found!