Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

January 2nd, 2013 19:00

dos/alureon.a trojan removal

My Dell 8300 Win7 has picked up the dos/alureon.a trojan as reported by Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE can't delete the trojan but instead says that I need to download MS Defender which I did. I have MS Defender burned to CD but when I reboot and try to change the boot drive to start Defender, the system just logs into Windows as usual. I know I'm doing something wrong so I hope someone knows how to rid this virus. 

Thanks for any help.   

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 07:00

Are you able to start up regularly or in safe mode? Have you tried a straight download and install of Windows Defender instead of using the CD?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-defender

If you are able to do the above, you might also download Malwarebytes and see if it is able to run.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

36 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 10:00

My PC starts okay and I can change to safe mode. I just can't get it to boot with the Defender CD in the D drive. MS says to run Defender offline. 

I already tried Malwarebytes and it along with McAfee don't find the alureon trojan.   

36 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 12:00

Update. I ran Defender from the comand line and had it do a scan. It found a new virus, win32/sirefef.p, and it was removed. Then I ran MS Security Essentials again and it still finds the dos/alureon.a trojan. How does this thing get removed???  

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 16:00

Hi video_guy,

There are several procedures that will remove this, but they really should be used under supervision of someone trained in their use. My suggestion is to post the required DDS logs on the Malware Removal Forum at SpywareHammer and have the staff trained in malware removal walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup. They do not use remote access but will advise you step-by-step on what you can do. They will work closely with you each step of the way. Please do not attempt to run any additional scans, install software, or use any other tools until an analyst can advise you on the next step. Please use the same username there as you have here. Help is free, but you will need to register there and follow the posting instructions.

The instructions at SpywareHammer will inform you of where to download DDS, how to run a scan, and how to post the initial output information.

Good luck.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

January 5th, 2013 12:00

video_guy, I am not seeing your post at SpywareHammer. Do you still need help?

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

March 12th, 2013 20:00

This topic from over two months ago has become inactive. It appears that the original poster may have been helped elsewhere. Infections change and fixes become outdated. Therefore, this topic is closed. If anyone has a similar problem, please begin a new topic at the top of the forum. Thank you.

1 Message

March 12th, 2013 20:00

you have to access your bios and change your boot sequence from there to boot from ur cd-rom before tryin the hard drive. then you will b able to boot from your cd.however i tried the same thing with and used the offline download like you and it failed. you will have to download something that is specifacally for the alureon.a dos trojan. hope i could help.

No Events found!