Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 19th, 2019 19:00

go.bonefreeze

Anybody got experience removing go.bonefreeze and ssoption from a Win 10 PC?

Trying to coach a very elderly and non-technical friend via long-distance phone calls to remove this garbage. She has premium version of malwarebytes on the PC and it reports finding go.bonefreeze every time she boots and says it blocked the URL, but attempts to remove it don't seem to work, assuming she's doing it correctly. It's still there on next reboot.

None of that garbage is listed as a browser add-on/extension, and searching the hard drive doesn't find "ssoption".

Very reluctant to send her to spywarehammer because that is certainly going to be way more than she can handle.

Isn't the first time she's gotten nasty malware. The last time she just went out and bought a new brand PC because she wasn't able to follow my instructions over the phone. The new one got infected almost immediately so she paid some PC shop in her town $180 to clean it up but just a couple weeks later... She can't afford to keeping pay that guy to clean it every time it gets infected, and I can't convince her to stop downloading "free stuff" which is probably how she gets infected...sigh

5.8K Posts

March 19th, 2019 20:00

Ron:

I have no experience removing either of those threats. I did find this resource for multiple ways of removing ssoption:
https://www.techsguide.com/removal-guideline-how-to-remove-ssoption-search/
In particular it advises trying the free trial version of HitmanPro, and AdWareCleaner, 2 programs I have found useful in the past, and definitely worth trying.

I sympathise with you, as I also support elderly non-tech family long distance. Definitely a challenge …

Joe

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 20th, 2019 10:00

@joe53- Thanks for the recommendations. I did see some links on the net suggesting HitmanPro to remove this stuff, but I don't have experience with it. At least you think it's ok to try...

I had her go to Add/Remove to uninstall SSoption which is listed there, but when she clicked to uninstall it, it won't let her. All it does is show a box asking "Allow this program to change PC settings?" (or something like that). Told her to click "no".

EDIT: Just occurred to me, could that question box be coming from MB Premium, asking for permission to allow SSoption to be uninstalled??

Do you (or anyone else) know if SuperAntiSpyware will work while Malwarebytes Premium is running? I only have experience using them as stand-alone on-demand scanners and I've never used MB Premium.  I had her install and try SAS, but it didn't seem to run.

I created a USB stick with portable versions of Revo Uninstaller, which I use (and  recommended at that link for removing SSoption) and ccleaner to send to her. At least I'll know what's on the USB is safe to use. The stick can be write-protected with a password so nothing else can get onto it.  I probably should add Hitman Pro too.

Maybe it's time to take a road trip to her house... And if I ever get my hands on these malware perps...

5.8K Posts

March 20th, 2019 17:00

That question box that appeared during the attempt to uninstall ssoption sounds like the standard procedure for Win 10, where you must grant permission via UAC for a program  to uninstall itself. I doubt it is related to Malwarebytes Premium. I would advise your friend to click on the yes button next time.

I used SAS with no problems for years alongside MBAM Premium, but have not used it recently.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 21st, 2019 12:00

Good point about UAC!

I totally forgot about UAC because I always totally disable that on every PC I have. And she didn't mention if the popup box said User Access Control, even though I told her to read everything to me as we went through each step.

Guess it may be easier and less stressful on everyone, if I take a road trip. And maybe I should try to set her PC up for remote access so I can see/fix it from here...

No Events found!