Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2011 05:00

phishing/spam/fraud email?

I have this week successfully completed an online purchase at Dell.com. Today I received an email claiming to be from and employee of Dell Global Financial Services asking me to verify my shipping and billing address. As my purchase was delivered three days ago I assume this is a fraud.

It contains two links -- both supposedly email addresses -- one for the author and one for his "Manager". What concerns me is that the email correctly quotes my Dell order number, the amount I paid, and the type of credit card I used. Obviously the fraudster has access to Dell's databse (or my email?). Does anyone have an email address at Dell to which I can send this email for Dell to verify?

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 5th, 2011 05:00

I would suggest that you contact Dell's Customer Service and discuss it with them. The specific details of your order should not be floating around in the "cloud", so to speak. Definitely do not respond to the email, since you already have received your purchase.

8 Posts

August 5th, 2011 06:00

No, just a simple direct charge to my credit card.  Thank you for forwarding this to a moderator -- I was frustrated the Dell Customer Service contact webform did not allow me to attach the suspect email.  I think Dell should be aware of the possibility of a hack into the online purchases/orders database -- unless it's my email (with the Dell order confirmation) that was hacked.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

Hi GPJ1,

Sorry for the confusion about the email presumably from Dell.  If you could contact me privately, I'll send you my email address and you can forward the email to me.  I'll be glad to go over it and find out what's going on.  To contact me privately, click on my username, then on the next page, click the envelope icon that says "send message".  Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

ref  19561453

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

GJP,

did you "finance" the machine through dell?  (i.e., arrange for some credit terms to pay off the purchase?)

regardless, I have called this post to the attention of a Dell moderator (DELL-Robert P), and I trust that he, or another official representative, will get in touch with you soon.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 04:00

I recently purchased a desktop from Dell and received a similar email claiming that I signed up for TWG_Fulfillment. Considering I have never received anything before with Dell as a phishing attack I do believe that my information has been leaked somehow. This email contains a supposed zip file that contains my 'purchase contract'. Come on idiot phishers, NO ONE zips small files anymore. If I can send this email to someone in Dell Sales ... let me know.

I am still very upset that I feel like my information is not safe in the Dell system. the receipt of this email was not coincidental.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2012 15:00

I bought a Dell laptop at the beginning of January and JUST NOW got this email:

"Thank you for your recent purchase of a "TWG In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis Service Contract" from Dell. Attached is important information about the service contract that you purchased, including a copy of the actual contract that you purchased.

Please print a copy of this document and retain it for your files. If for some reason you lose this copy of your service contract, a copy of this document can be located at www.dell.com/servicecontracts."

Your database has been hacked or somebody in your company is selling them to scammers, because it came to the email address I used to register my laptop - any only to me. No scattergun blast, no "undisclosed recipients", etc. Just me.

What's hugely funny is, there is NO attachment whatsoever. My virus scanner didn't strip one off, they just didn't attach anything. So at least they're idiots.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 16:00

Bix,

Is it possible that you (intentionally or inadvertently) purchased such a service contract at the time you bought your system --- but that, for whatever reason, there was a delay in Dell acknowledging it until now?

Dell-Robert P, who participated in this thread above, should receive notice of what's happening.   If he contacts you, you should consult with him privately (private message) --- do not discuss any particular/personal details in the open forum here.

3 Posts

April 24th, 2012 04:00

Kinda of surprised that Dell is NOT monitoring this particular thread a bit closer.   Or is Dell aware that their confidential data on their customers is bouncing around in the cloud?  I am very disappointed and won't be buying ANYTHING from Dell online anymore.  I received yet ANOTHER email from someone that was claiming to be Dell that had MY order number in it.  

Not good.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

April 24th, 2012 05:00

Fireflii,

It has to be stressed that this is a USER-TO-USER forum.   Meaning that, as a rule, Dell does not monitor, reply, nor "interfere" with posts here [aside from automatic filters that may remove "obscenities"] --- unless other users opt to "report abuse", or someone explicitly contacts a Dell Liaison/Moderator.   In other words, if your goal is to speak "directly" with Dell to complain, this is not the proper vehicle of contact.

Unless/until Dell is notified about potential fraud --- so as to know what/where they should be looking into --- there's no way they can anticipate all possible contingencies.

I am just a Dell-user myself --- I do not work for Dell.   But having survived here for over a decade, I do know some of the people to alert --- such as Dell-Robert P.   I left him a message yesterday, and will do so again today.   Hopefully, he will get in touch with you soon.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

Kinda of surprised that Dell is NOT monitoring this particular thread a bit closer.   Or is Dell aware that their confidential data on their customers is bouncing around in the cloud?  I am very disappointed and won't be buying ANYTHING from Dell online anymore.  I received yet ANOTHER email from someone that was claiming to be Dell that had MY order number in it.  

Not good.

Hi Fireflii40,

Sorry for your confusion.  Please rest assured that we do have a strict privacy policy and customer's data is not "bouncing" around the cloud.  If you received an email from Dell with your order number in it, then it was an official communication. 

If you would like me to investigate further, then please contact me privately by clicking on my name in blue, then on the next page, click the envelope icon that says "start conversation", and send me your information (this is to protect your privacy).  Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

ref  21382398

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

I bought a Dell laptop at the beginning of January and JUST NOW got this email:

"Thank you for your recent purchase of a "TWG In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis Service Contract" from Dell. Attached is important information about the service contract that you purchased, including a copy of the actual contract that you purchased.

Please print a copy of this document and retain it for your files. If for some reason you lose this copy of your service contract, a copy of this document can be located at www.dell.com/servicecontracts."

Your database has been hacked or somebody in your company is selling them to scammers, because it came to the email address I used to register my laptop - any only to me. No scattergun blast, no "undisclosed recipients", etc. Just me.

What's hugely funny is, there is NO attachment whatsoever. My virus scanner didn't strip one off, they just didn't attach anything. So at least they're idiots.

Hi Bix256,

Sorry for the confusion with your computer warranty.  If you purchased through Dell Home Sales, a standard 1 year "mail in" warranty is included with your purchase, however you may have opted for additional years or you may have opted for an "in home" service policy.  If so, then the service agency more than likely sent you that email. 

If you would like me to check into this further, please contact me privately by clicking on my name in blue, then on the next page, click the envelope icon that says "start conversation", and send me your information.  Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

ref  21382331

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2012 01:00

Got this same note, this morning. It did have an attachment, and because I have made a recent (4 weeks ago) purchase, I did open it. The attachment even looks legit. It doesn't have my name on it, but does have the address I've been using for servicing here. Again, virus protection did not stop the attachment, a simple PDF.

Glad I found others who also received this.

1 Message

March 6th, 2014 07:00

The same happened to me just now!

I ordered my Dell laptop yesterday and early this morning I received an e-mail from a employee of Dell Global Financial Services. She asked me for my bank statements and details to confirm my address, she even called me on my mobile phone! 

I wrote a message to the Dell Customer Support team, and I am still waiting for a response Dell has to be aware of that! Our personal details are accessible for unauthorised individuals!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 6th, 2014 07:00

Ivalina,

Since Dell-Robert P (an official representative) is following this thread, I would expect him to get in touch with you "shortly", to investigate the matter.   (I have messaged him to follow-up here.)

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 6th, 2014 08:00

Hi Ivalina,

Sorry for your confusion.  Depending on how you chose to pay for your purchase, Dell does check a customers financial history to determine creditworthiness.  These are not unauthorized individuals, they work for the credit company. 

If you would like someone to investigate this further, please send me a private message, and include your
customer number and order number.  Thanks.

Once again, this appears to be normal credit checking procedures, and not unauthorized individuals.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!