Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

4 Posts

March 8th, 2019 04:00

Buying a Business laptop while being a student

Hi, I was interested in buying a Vostro 5481 from the Dell site. But I'm private, a student, I have no business. Can I still buy it? And what about the mandatory entry "company name"? Could there be any problems with the purchase or with Prosupport assistance (which I would like to buy)? Thank you

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 8th, 2019 04:00

4 Posts

March 8th, 2019 07:00

Thank you. I did already see it but it's from 2007 and it doesn't say anything about the prosupport warranty

4 Posts

March 8th, 2019 10:00

Thank you so much. I was just confused because the names of the Support Service is different: "Prosupport" for Business, and "Premium" for non-busiess products. And i was afraid this could be a problem. Thank you again and sorry if i did not write in perfect english but it's not my mother tongue.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

You can absolutely do this.  If Dell requires you to provide a business name, just enter your own name again.  I was buying Latitude and Precision laptops while I was a student no problem, and I never had a problem getting on-site warranty support.  After all, you could be self-employed in addition to being a student; that would qualify as a business.  "Business laptops" just means laptops that are designed with the needs of businesses in mind.  It does not mean that only businesses can buy them.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@Olmo wrote:
Thank you so much. I was just confused because the names of the Support Service is different: "Prosupport" for Business, and "Premium" for non-busiess products. And i was afraid this could be a problem. Thank you again and sorry if i did not write in perfect english but it's not my mother tongue.

I believe ProSupport has some minor differences compared to Premium Home Support, but I have not looked carefully.  If there are any differences, they would either be improvements or be differences that would not matter to individual customers.  For example, some ProSupport contracts allow you to get a specific Dell rep assigned to you to support the various products you purchase.  That is valuable to businesses that buy multiple products, but typically not useful for individual purchasers.  However, it's not a problem to have that type of contract on an individual system.  You just won't get a benefit from it.  You also might have to pay more, of course.  Certain laptop models are sold in BOTH the Home and Business stores, such as the XPS 15, and in those cases you can compare the costs of the different warranty options.  But other product lines aren't sold in the Home store at all.  You MIGHT be able to find them in an Education store, however, and if so you might find that the system is less expensive there compared to the Business store.  If you're buying in the US, take a look at this page and then click through to University or K-12, depending on what type of school you're attending.  Additionally, some specific schools have arrangements with Dell and have their own dedicated online store that might offer even larger student discounts, sometimes on specific system models or configurations that they recommend for their students.  But I believe you'd have to reach out to your school to find out whether they have that, and if so how to access that site.

No Events found!