Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

4 Posts

April 24th, 2023 23:00

Dell vostro 5401 battery

So here's the situation. 

I use my dell as a daily driver laptop that I take with me to university, so I need it have the best possible battery life. It's been 2 years since I bought it and, wouldn't you know it, the battery is dying so I'm looking into a replacement. 

My laptop initially came with a 40whr 11.25V battery. However it appears that in the configuration page you could select a 53whr 15V battery instead, whose specific product model I know and on dell's part page is listed as compatible with my laptop.

Considering the voltage increase, is it safe to instead upgrade to that battery and not replace the current one with the same part?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 25th, 2023 06:00

Yes, it is safe. As you can see in Dell's specifications, your laptop is designed to work with either battery. Don't worry about the voltage difference.

You may buy genuine Dell batteries direct from Dell. Here is the page showing both batteries for your laptop

Follow removal and installation instructions in Dell's Service Manual.

Whenever touching components or working inside a computer, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. It's a cheap and sensible precaution. Rest the laptop on an anti-static mat or at least a reasonable alternative such as corrugated cardboard.

May 26th, 2023 12:00

Just as a heads-up for anyone attempting to do what I wanted to do here:

This doesn't actually work, you can't replace a smaller battery with the larger one… EVEN THOUGH DELL LISTS IT AS COMPATIBLE! In reality depending on the config you have the speakers are way larger on one model than the other so you can't actually install a larger battery. 

To be clear, not angry about it (I'd take 3x larger speakers over 10Whrs of battery life any day day of the week) but Dell should make this clearer in their documentation.

No Events found!