Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

October 6th, 2019 08:00

Dell vostro 5490 making static noise when plugged in

I have my laptop now for 4 days and just noticed that when my laptop is charging/plugged in, it makes a weird scrambling, static noise. If i remove the plug, the noise stops. The noise gets louder when i move my mouse or use the touchpad.

The noise stops when i remove the plug.

I tried:

1. update my bios
  2. update sound drivers
  3. found the High performance mode by editting the 'CsEnabled' value from '1' to '0'.
  4. update every update that was available on the dell/support website for my laptop

If someone has the same problem or a solution, please let me know! I will contact support monday and find out what they can do for me.

6 Posts

January 11th, 2020 08:00

I have that same problem too.

https://yuiek-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/16127_vip365_online/EW6MimpXTbZOuFRq9gcy3xMBBh9hbs8Z2qtql26pYx2z5w?e=vE205Z

https://yuiek-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/16127_vip365_online/EbH2xqWI-TxDmTBSUUKE2uoBWXgI4ytW32IinFEfzFxVhA?e=kILBcR

- BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.4.0, 25/11/2019

- All tests passed and there is no temperature report whatsoever.
- Intel Thermal Subsytem - 02F9 Driver version 10.1.27.2
- There's been sound since the laptop came out of the box.

• 

25.7K Posts

January 13th, 2020 23:00

Hello Michael,

I am following up with respect to the noise issue reported with your Dell laptop. Would you be able to disable C-state control in BIOS under Performance and let me know if the noise is reduced?

Regards,

Muntazir Patel

January 14th, 2020 02:00

Hi Muntazir, thanks for the suggestion. I disabled C-State control in the BIOS. The sound is still audible but I think it is reduced in volume slightly.

Regards

Michael

15 Posts

January 14th, 2020 06:00

I have the same problem. BIOS, drivers and W10Pro are up2date.

BIOS version: 1.4.0 (25 November 2019)
SMBIOS-version: 3.2
Windows 10 Pro version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Thermal Subsystem: 02F9 (version 10.1.27.2)
This sound is there since arrival ... not done Dell! 

I have it when:
* working on D6000 dock with USB C and with 2 external screens (powered by the dock)
* working on battery without dock and without external screens

When I'm in the BIOS I also have this sound.
When changing the C-state from enabled to disabled: after loging in to Windows, the sound is still there. So for me this is no workaround or solution.
What is the impact of changing the C-state from enabled to disabled?

Maybe Dell can take back this notebook ...

@michaelmorton : I have the same sound like on your recorded sound. It is like the sound of an internal old HD.

15 Posts

January 14th, 2020 07:00

important update: I also have the same sound in my Dell D6000 docking.

so the sound comes out of the laptop and out of the Dell D6000. 

the D6000 dock has also in the latest firmware.

very annoying and irritating !!!

15 Posts

January 14th, 2020 08:00

I have no errors and this version is already installed (8.6.10401.9906).
Maybe Dell can tell me that there is no solution? Because we have many Dell notebooks in the office ... Inspirion, Vostro, ... they all have this issue. 

• 

25.7K Posts

January 14th, 2020 08:00

Hi gleva86,

Thank you for contacting us, we would be happy to help you resolve the issue, could you please follow the below steps

I recommend running the system's built-in ePSA diagnostic tests to aid in diagnosing the issue with your system.  

• If your system fails any of the ePSA tests, please follow the instructions/guidance provided and reference the ePSA article linked above

• If your system passes the ePSA test:

1. Uninstall the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF)

2. Update the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) to V4743 or later https://dell.to/385345l

• Do let us know if this suggested step resolves the issue in case of any error do revert to us.  

Regards,

Paventhan M

• 

25.7K Posts

January 14th, 2020 09:00

Hi gleva86,

We will need to review the details to assist you further. Could you provide the list of affected system's service tag and docking station order or serial number's via private message? We will review this and get back to you with the available options. 

Regards,

Dell-PaventhanM

15 Posts

January 15th, 2020 00:00

Hi, I send you a private message.
I want a solution, because this is a warranty issue.
Maybe Dell can take back the notebook, so I can order an other Dell notebook without this issue.

Thanks.

15 Posts

January 15th, 2020 02:00

Link to my recorded 'static noise': https://sndup.net/6jx6/d

5 Posts

January 15th, 2020 10:00

Hi All,

Just an update from my service case. I was contacted by Dell Support and they replaced the input power connector as well as the whole motherboard on my laptop. Right after the technician finished the job the noise seemed to be gone, but after a couple of hours using the laptop and then connecting the power supply the noise was back.

It seems to me that this is some design issue, but if that's the case then I guess they would have noticed it a long time ago... I see that this thread keeps growing faster and faster, so it looks like a generalized problem.

January 15th, 2020 21:00

Thanks for the update @RafaelD. I was guessing it was a battery issue due to the difference when the power cord is unplugged, but I saw in this video the battery isn't near where the sound comes from.

It's good Dell tried to solve this for you, but disappointing it made no difference, especially given the motherboard and power connector are located around where the sound originates. It does look to be a general / design issue, but maybe this is an issue specific to recent devices only?

In any case, please keep us updated on their next suggestions.

15 Posts

January 16th, 2020 01:00

If Dell doesn't fix this problem then I, as the IT manager in our company, will make the decision to say Dell goodbye. 
We always pay for 3 year ProSupport next-business-day warranty ... but this problem is just not done! 

My own Dell notebook has also this problem with the chassis ... quality control? 
https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-5490-chassis/m-p/7453712#M4520

I asked Dell to take back my notebook with refund so I can order an other Dell notebook ... 

5 Posts

January 16th, 2020 05:00

Yes @michaelmorton , it is quite disappointing they have no idea what the issue is since it is clear that many people have it.

So far the only response I got was to ask me to update the BIOS, because the new motherboard came with an old version. This is really frustrating as it clearly did not solve the issue the first time so it is obvious it will have no effect now.

My guess is that they will try to replace the battery and see what happens. I still believe this is some design flaw though...

15 Posts

January 16th, 2020 06:00

Sure this is a design flaw though ... many Dell notebooks have this problem ... Inspiron / Vostro.
This is no standalone problem for the Vostro 5490 ... I know, because we have a lot of different Dell notebooks ...

So they installed a new motherboard and they did not update the BIOS? Amateurish, no?

No Events found!