Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2015 11:00

Question about scaleio gateway

I successfully deployed scaleio 1.32 for Vsphere 5.5 followed instruction ScaleIO Quick Start Guide for VMware . All looks Ok. Just few questions at this stage:

1) What means  "ScaleIO Installer" when I connect to gateway via web browser? It propose me to upload and install some packages. What packages?  Does gateway has some additional functionality via web and I have to configure it? Or it just tools for manual scaleio installation and future updates?

2) My scaleio successfully pass switching of of each server, but when I switched of the first MDM server, the second MDM become first and still first after original first back alive. So, I had have to reconnect GUI to the second IP. Is it Ok? Is it possible to have GUI automatically reconnect to current first MDM?  Is it possible to have one main IP address for GUI, not related to status of current first MDM?

3) I didn't find in GUI where I can change scaleio configuration. Not create additional pools and volumes etc, but, for example, change "Call Home" mail server or syslog server parameters. Is it possible?

Thanks

92 Posts

August 13th, 2015 14:00

1) Yes, gateway is also the IM (Installation Manager) - p52 at http://www.emc.com/collateral/technicaldocument/emc-scaleio-installation-guide.pdf

2) Not sure I understood your question

3) Not yet.

9 Posts

August 13th, 2015 15:00

Hi

Thanks for quick answer.

2)

First MDM configured with IP address 192.168.1.1 and second MDM with IP 192.168.1.2

ScaleIO GUI connected to 192.168.1.1 and working.

192.168.1.1 powered off. 192.168.1.2 switch to be first MDM now. GUI stopped to work and must be manually reconnected to  192.168.1.2. Not nice... 8-(

192.168.1.1  powered on and begin to work as second MDM. 192.168.1.2 still to be first MDM. Not big deal, but expected restoring of original setup.

3) How may I change "Call Home" mail server or syslog server parameters?

E.

92 Posts

August 13th, 2015 16:00

2) You should be able to input both IPs at GUI, so if first MDM fails it will automatically connect to the remaining MDM.

And it will not failback automatically, and this is a good thing, so you can be sure your old primary mdm is fine, before fail back to it. But as you mentioned, you don't really need to do that.

3) check here, at page 120: http://www.emc.com/collateral/technicaldocument/emc-scaleio-installation-guide.pdf

August 16th, 2015 02:00

Regarding item 2:

When connecting your GUI to the P.MDM Mgmt IP, GUI should get also the S.MDM Mgmt IP, so when a fail-over (switch-over) occurs it should be able to connect to the "New" P.MDM automatically. IF it does not do that, need to check the GUI logs here: C:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\EMC\scaleio\logs

ScaleIO does not switch-back ownership once an MDM failover has occured, the "New" P.MDM will remain so, until another fail-over occurs, either due to a problem, or manually trigger by the user with scli --switch_mdm_ownership command

1 Message

September 11th, 2019 21:00

For 2).

Rather than logging into new MDM node and connecting GUI manually. You can use a separate node out of cluster within same network to access GUI ..In my case I have created a windows node out of scaleIo cluster but makesure it is in same subnet in order to establish connectivity, just new to run GUI installer file and it switches GUI to active master nodes automatically. 

No Events found!