Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1, 100% disk usage, Windows 10

Hi Team,

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1 model laptop running with Microsoft Windows 10 Home OS and from the moment it has been started, I have been observing extremely slow performance issue being caused by 100% disk usage showing in "Task Manager".

There isn't anything being installed on the system yet, and still its taking ages to open any utility window (task manager, system properties etc.) with really poor performance. I am continuously observing 100% Disk usage without even running anything. This doesn't seems to be an healthy scenario.

I am already done through diagnostics test rub and clean boot, however nothing has helped me.
Kindly assist as this laptop is completely unusable for me.

Thanks,
Saurabh

1 Message

November 25th, 2018 22:00

Agreed!!  I bought two laptops from Dell this year and both have this problem.  The first one the Dell team actually fixed after about (literally) 20 hours on the phone over six days.  They did not charge me.  The second laptop had the SAME problem and they offered no assistance unless I bought their extended warranty.  Such a rip off.  Almost $2K I spent with this company and BOTH devices were unusable as sold....  I wish I could scream it from the rooftops to warn others.  I don't remember all the things they did to try to get the first laptop running again, so I'm stuck with a brick.  I would return it, but it was shipped to my daughter at school and by the time she had given up on it and brought it home for break it was too late.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2018 21:00

Had the same symptoms and tried everything including a reformat which resulted in the installation of Windows that kept freezing. Switched hard drives and RAM modules. The only thing which finally worked was a BIOS update.

December 28th, 2018 17:00

It's kind of saddening to see so many people with the same problem for such a long time, but also comforting. 

I have the same problem. I love video games, but because I have always used Apple, which is not a gaming company, I have never been able to play the good ones. The best ones run like **bleep** on Apple, and mobile games universally. A gaming computer was the only solution.

So, after reading a review on the Dell G5 15 (written by some douchebag who probably spent less than an hour dicking around with the computer and didn't discover the problem), I decided that this was going to be my first gaming laptop.

Bad. Friggen. Choice.

I downloaded steam and two new games. I already had a few games from earlier, back when I played on mac. I was excited to finally be able to crank up the graphics settings on these games and get some real, buttery smooth gameplay. So, what happened?

Nothing! The computer took hours to download the first few games. The rest I have left uninstalled on Steam because this takes too long. 

Oh, but that isn't it. These games are uninstalled, so they take up absolutely no disk space, right? Right.

This afternoon, I decided to spend some money on Arma III. 

Again, at this point, most of my games are completely uninstalled. This computer, which I've owned for literally three days, has only two games on it. 

Uh, oh! There's not enough disk space for Arma III! Even though you have literally nothing but two games and both your garbage can and desktop are completely 100% empty and you've spent less than ten minutes on the internet and this is a gaming computer for Christ's sake, I suppose you'll have to just a big one! I mean, you only spent thirty dollars buying this game on discount. 

So, I think to myself: That's Odd. Challenge accepted. So what do I do? I uninstall one of my TWO games (leaving one), clean the C Drive, clean it again, compress the drive, and try again. So, with a freshly cleaned and compressed drive, no time on the internet (and therefore nothing was downloaded and no data gathered), no extra apps, nothing on my desktop, a completely and utterly empty trashcan, and only one game on this computer literally made to run large games, I have got to be able to install Arma now, right? Nah, not even close. This piece of trash can't even fit two god **bleep** games on it. 

For those of you thinking about getting a Dell, don't. For those of you with a dell, you might as well throw it in the garbage, because that's where it belongs. 

1 Message

January 6th, 2019 09:00

I have Dell Inspiron 15 5000.

To solve this issue, I did 2 things:

1 - updated Windows to 10.0.17134 (took a while).

2 - disabled SmartByte Network Service and Rivet Dynamic Bandwidth Management Service.

So far, so good. Task Manager still reports high % for disk after restart, but after a couple of minutes it drops down to almost zero and stays there.

January 19th, 2019 05:00

For me, after a good month's search, the trick was to remove the Skype app; I had the desktop Skype application installed, but some Windows update (probably the October major rollout) installed the Skype app too. After removing the Skype app, disk usage went straight away down to normal and the PC is usable again.

January 20th, 2019 23:00

... removing Skype App finally was not the end of the line. The real cause lied in security misconfigurations of various DCOM services, introduced when the October 2018 update was installed. Mostly had to do with the RuntimeBroker DCOM service, but a couple of other services were affected too.

The documents in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-distributedcom-errors-system-freezing-etc/3f4263ae-abdb-441c-8fce-71b70abbe349 and https://www.itexperience.net/2018/12/02/event-id-10016-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid/ give walkthroughs to solve the problem. Note that the respective processes may need to be repeated for DCOM services that are failing due to permissions.

1 Message

January 24th, 2019 10:00

I also have same laptop ... facing this issue in new Dell Laptop . 

And these people are saying its not covered in default warranty . 

very Pathetic service from Dell . 

I will try options mentioned in this page ..

1 Message

March 6th, 2019 19:00

I have a Dell G7 that I bought recently. I was noticing occasionally it would go into a spiral of 100% drive usage getting slower and slower until it just more or less had frozen and I had to reboot.

Discovered the offending program was pcdrwi.exe, which is actually part of the Dell SupportAssist. Uninstalled that and have been doing fine since.

1 Message

March 18th, 2019 19:00

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

10.0.17134 Build 17134

Device Manager info: Intel(R) 9 series chipset family SATA AHCI controller

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06541028&REV_03

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06541028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&CC_010601

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&CC_0106

2 Posts

April 20th, 2019 14:00

Hey Everyone,

I have had this same problem for nearly two years.  Like most of you, I also tried every remedy I could find—but nothing worked--including killing services, reinstalling the OS, updating Windows, etc.  It finally got to the point where my hard drive continued to spin at 100% and wouldn’t ever settle to a usable state.  Dell’s response to the problem is laughable—all the customer’s in this forum started experiencing this problem at the point of unboxing—so it’s not malware, unless it was installed by Dell.  Probably just as laughable were suggestions to uninstall certain applications.  Why the **bleep** would I spend a grand on a new laptop just to limit the applications that I can use?  That makes zero sense.   The bottom line: These laptops should work as configured—period. 

Anyway, I have found a solution to this issue that works 100% of the time.  Although, it may not be for everyone, simply reformat your hard drive and install Linux.  The hardware is solid and runs Linux like a champ,  it doesn’t contain any of that Dell bloatware, and you'll no longer have a $1000 brick.  If I ever run into any applications in which I need to run Windows—and there shouldn’t be many, I’ll simply install a clean version in a virtual machine—but I won’t have Windows be the base OS, and I refuse to buy some crappy dell service plan to “fix” the problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 04:00

mechanical hard drives have this.  When you move to SSD it goes away.

You can also install UBUNTU alongside windows 10 and dual boot.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 08:00

Hello
stopping the windows search did the trick for me
It's an (older) Dell Latitude E6320 with a standard HDD (non-SSD) on which I recently installed windows 10.

1 Message

June 9th, 2019 15:00

I too have experienced this issue with an 8930 desktop. It started when I first bought the system several months ago and I was able to resolve it by changing a setting in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application.

A few days ago the Dell Support Assistant indicated the Rapid Storage Technology needed updating so I allowed it to perform the update. After completion, I started to experience the C: drive reaching 100% utilization again and I recalled the steps to correct it.

1. Open Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application.
2. Click on the Performance button.
3. Click on the "Disable" link for "Link Power Management". (After you do that the "Enable" text will become a link.)
4. Restart the computer to activate the new settings.
5. After restarting, verify using Task Manager and Resource Monitor that the C drive no longer pins at 100%.

I hope this fix helps those experiencing the problem as I know it can be frustrating waiting for what should be a very responsive machine open the application you clicked several seconds ago.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2019 18:00

2 Posts

August 18th, 2019 18:00

I was searching online and found you tube video by Dell on 100% usage.

For me it turned out to be plugins on Chrome browser, once disabled or removed disk usage back to normal.

No Events found!