SahMiNazadek
1 Copper

Re: Apoint tries to delete c drive content

I have exactly same issue. Any resolution from DELL?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RalphMack
1 Nickel

I had the exact same thing happen to me today for the first time. I just updated my Win10x64 Dell Precision 7510 laptop to the 1809 release of Win 10 last week.

I wonder if Dell even bothers reading this forum.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Apoint is part of the device driver package for  touchpads manufactured by Alps.

Deleting files comes from malware W32/Chir-B worm, an EXE file infector not the OEM Dell driver.

When run the virus will copy itself into the Windows system folder as runonce.exe and sets the registry entry
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Runonce

to start this new copy of the virus. This will cause the virus to be started when Windows starts up. The virus continually monitors this registry entry so
that any attempt to change or delete the entry.

The worm searches through all local and mapped drives to infect files with the following extensions:

• .htm
  • .html
  • .exe
  • .scr

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
johnm-w
1 Copper

Hi, Did some research around W32/Chir-B worm, but couldn't find any mention of it trying to delete all files on a C drive.

Also, there's no HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Runonce entry in my registry or any reference to runonce.exe

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes detect no virus in  runonce.exe in windows\system32 (or in any of the other three versions of it in the Windows directory) nor do they find any viruses anywhere else on my system.

The digital signatures on apoint.exe all check out, so it appears not to be infected.

sfc /scannow also came back with no issues

So I'm really not sure why you think it's a virus and not a bug.

0 Kudos
RalphMack
1 Nickel

It is a trojan only in the sense that the ALPS Pointoing Device driver is behaving like a trojan. I updated all the drivers on my laptop and it immediately came up with this same error on the very next power up. The EXE for the ALPS pointing device was updated as well and I scanned it again along with the rest of my computer using Malware Bytes and Windows Defender again. 

The next 2 powerups it has not happened. I have now completely disabled the service and will only turn it on when I need to use it.

Too bad Dell doesn't pay attention to their own support community.

RalphMack
1 Nickel

How do I contact support when the web site does not work? I have tried doing this several times and it is not possible for me to get the contact form to come up. I have tried with 3 different browsers. Here is Chrome:

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Please have your Service Tag or Express Service Code ready.

You will need a valid service tag and then go here:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/category/Contact-Information

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
RalphMack
1 Nickel

The support site was operational today and while on the chat line they told me this:

"For this assistance you need, it's more on software related issue. We do suggest to contact our Pro support department how support for software and hardware issues. You can reach them at, 1-866-362-5350 (US & Canada) 24/7."

You will need a service tag when you call. You can use the web site to find it or run Dell Command Update and it will display it.

When I get a chance I will call and post the results here if it is relevant.

Jorje
1 Copper

I'm experiencing the same issue and glad to finally find something relevant. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Because all I could do is remove Apoint.exe and HidMonitorSvc.exe from the autorun and services lists. Also, did you succeed in connecting with Dell Support?
0 Kudos
RalphMack
1 Nickel

I have not called. I was so busy after my chat that I didn't have time. So I disabled the apoint service and have been using the little eraser pointer instead.

0 Kudos