Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2015 20:00

Cortana Microphone Issues with Dell XPS 13 (2015)

Anyone else upgraded their 2015 model XPS 13 laptop to Windows 10 and seen issues with Cortana? When I first did the upgrade, I saw a warning say my microphone wasn't compatible with Cortana, but it works...sometimes. I tried to train it to respond only to my voice, but it doesn't hear me when I try the learning phrases. It does work generally when I say "Hey Cortana...", but not well.

If I go into the Microphone setup wizard, the mic can hear me, but only barely - the wizard gives me a warning about the mic not being able to hear me clearly, but then it completes and says the mic is set up.

I'm not clear if this is a driver issue, or what. Anyone else having this problem?

1 Message

August 12th, 2015 23:00

I am too having this issue

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 11:00

Won't work on mine either.

4 Posts

August 17th, 2015 23:00

I'm also having this issue. Microphone appears to sound scratch and muffled. Anyone have any fix for this yet?

August 21st, 2015 14:00

I am also having this issue with my recently purchased XPS 13 that I immediately upgraded to Windows 10.  Cortana can understand me ok if I say really short things like "weather" or "movies", but if I try a natural language phrase like "How big is the sun?" Cortana errors out and can't recognize what I'm saying.  Very frustrating to say the least.  Dell, please fix!

12 Posts

August 21st, 2015 20:00

Good news everyone - if you check for Windows 10 drivers, you'll find a new (August I think) audio driver - install that, and the microphone should work. I installed it and Cortana now works properly. The Dell driver update tool reported no new drivers when I checked, but of course when I looked manually there were 10+ new drivers.

No new video drivers yet though. Come on Dell, you're 4+ versions behind Intel! I'm sick of Photoshop crashing on an Intel Graphics driver error. :-(

August 24th, 2015 15:00

I was able to fix the Cortana issue, as well as a slow wi-fi issue I was also having, by updating the drivers on my XPS 13 using the following page.  Go there on your XPS 13 and click the "Detect Drivers" button and it should find the latest drivers and install them for you.  There was even a BIOS update in there which required me to manually kick it off, but it updated the BIOS fine in a rather automatic fashion.

www.dell.com/.../drivers

No Events found!