Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2019 02:00

Dell g5 windows update cannot find 1809

Hi,

Pretty much the titles says it all. I need 1809 build of Win 10 for my machine but Windows update fails to find it and tells me "You're already up to date" when in fact I am running 1803. I've checked the tested laptops on the dell site and g5s are listed there, but alas... Mine fails to find the update.

Any ideas?

4 Posts

February 16th, 2019 02:00

Hi, Last update was yesterday. Anyhow I've finally managed to get 1809! What I did was forcing windows to check for updates every day (even though after installing an update i was getting "you're up to date message"). So I was forcing windows to check for updates and it was finding an update per day or so (perhaps there's something blocking windows finding newer updates than the current one for some time). And after 3/4 days of repeating that procedure with windows finding something new and then lying that I'm up to date, I finally saw the Windows 10 Update, 1809. Thanks to all that helped. Hopefully this thread will be useful to someone in future!

591 Posts

February 14th, 2019 03:00

Hello,

I would check for errors in the windowsupdate logs to get this log open powershell as administartator and type "Get-WindowsUpdateLog" (no "") on your desktop is now a file called WindowsUpdate.log check this for errors.

If the problem persists you can always use the mediacreationtool to create a usb to perform the upgrade but in that case a data backup is your friend .

4 Posts

February 14th, 2019 16:00

Hi, 

The log does not seem to contain any errors, at least not at first glance. The only thing that comes close to an error is:

Failed to find update with global id of 867F8737-CBC4-4FF2-8431-4CAFEF77D4EF.200

although I have no idea what that global id is referring to. Could be 1809 could be something else...

Also, yes I guess I could use the usb stick trick, but that feels wrong... I'd ideally want to do it in the native way.

591 Posts

February 15th, 2019 00:00

Hello,

I understand your preference todo it the native way you should get a blue looking popup when windows update finds that upgrade to 1809.You could check the windows update history to see the date information of the last successfull update last Tuesday was a "patch tuesday" as microsoft calls this with several updates to 1809.

If the date of your last succesfull update is a long time ago there is a problem somewhere for example in the past i've had a problem with my antivirus that was causing windows update to have issues.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-not-i-receive-windows-10-1809-update-via/5fbb87a0-0f53-4c26-8d52-072666450382

22 Posts

February 17th, 2019 03:00

Microsoft don't push huge updates out to everyone at once, because it would break the internet and if there was a bug then it could kill every windows 10 computer out there at the same time. I don't know if clicking on update every day would influence the decision of which computers will get the update. 19H1 is estimated to be finished in April, if you want to get it quicker than you got 1809 then you need to use the media creation tool method.
No Events found!