Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2016 16:00

How do I activate Windows 10 Pro that came with new Dell Inspiron 5559?

Machine Currently running with Win 7 Pro from DELL.  It supposedly also has Win 10 PRO option, but I see no read me files on how to upgrade. The DVD included with laptop says "Windows 10 PRO 64 bit - USE THIS DISK ONLY TO REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM"

The Dell tech on the Chat told me to use the DVD and boot off of that. Now computer wont run on anything!

Says:  

PXE - E61 Media test failure, check cable.

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM No boot device found.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 12th, 2016 09:00

Very confusing question. What machine is running windows 7? Did you order a new computer with windows 7? The free upgrade to windows 10 will work and you will not need to activate it. Don't boot to the dell disk. That is for reinstalling windows 10 not upgrading. Just upgrade the normal way by booting to windows 7 on the new machine and open your browser and go to the upgrade site. Here-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Windows 7 must be running to get the free upgrade. Do not do a clean install You would not be able to activate a clean install. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 13th, 2016 09:00

If it came with a Windows 10 Pro license, it is running Windows 7 Pro under its downgrade rights. You can install and activate Windows 10 using the DVD it came with, but it sounds like your system isn't booting to the DVD at all. The PXE message only means it has tried to boot to the boot devices above it in the boot sequence and it has now come to the network boot option.

When you boot to the DVD, press F12 as soon as it is an option on the screen to select your boot device from the boot menu. Make sure that DVD is enabled and listed and enabled in the boot sequence in the BIOS.

No Events found!