Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

July 4th, 2016 06:00

How to fix- Desktop DELL XPS 8900 Window 10 wakes up intermittently from sleep mode

I recently bought Desktop DELL  XPS 8900. Recently I have been noticing my PC going to sleep and waking up from sleep. It then goes back to sleep and then wakes up again. the cycle  continues.I ran diagnostic. It passed all tests.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 5th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would advise you check the power plan and select settings that suit you the best.

If this doesn't fix, we would need detailed description of the issue

also advisable to update the BIOS, Intel HD and reinstall the graphics cards drivers with latest version.

kindly private message the service tag and email address

Thanks

Robin

10 Posts

January 11th, 2017 09:00

Are there any updates to this post?

I have the same issues since the BIOS update 2.1.3. All drivers on the latest level (dell download site) plus newest Nvidia driver. I experience as well that the fan is running louder. The powercfg /sleepstudy report is not working as windows mentioning that the "S0 powerstate" is not supported.

10 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply

powercfg shows that the Intel device was the last activitiy

Aktivierungsverlaufsanzahl - 1

Aktivierungsverlauf [0]

Aktivierungsquellenanzahl  - 1

Aktivierungsquelle [0]

Typ: Gerät

Instanzpfad: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_06B81028&REV_31\3&11583659&0&FE

Anzeigename: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V

Beschreibung: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V

Hersteller: Intel

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

If you want to know what is waking the system up, use the command below.  Let us know what it shows.  Open an Admin Command prompt and it should be done shortly after the event occurs:

powercfg -lastwake

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 11th, 2017 10:00

Try going into Device Manager and checking the Network Ethernet adapter to see if it is allowed to wake the system.

If you want to test, disconnect the Ethernet to see if it stops waking.  Since I can't tell which device is which in your listing, if it isn't the Ethernet then check the Wireless. The I219-V is Ethernet I believe.

10 Posts

January 11th, 2017 13:00

Thanks Saltgrass! This seemed to work so far. So far the Network Ethernet adapter was able to wake up the system. I enabled in addition now to wake up only with magic package. After 2h of testing this seemed to fix it. The powercfg -lastwake didn't show any results

But still the fan is running on a higher speed than before the BIOS update even if the CPU is idle.

No Events found!