Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 8th, 2018 23:00

Inspiron 5567 factory reset Windows 10

Good day to everyone, my name is Jessie.

My Dell Inspiron 5567 just got stolen last week, and fortunately I got it back yesterday (though it's been formatted).

For safety measure, I try to factory reset and all, but after that I found that my windows isn't activated, with wrong product key error. Checked the installed Windows and it's Windows 10 pro even though on my service tag, my pre installed should've been the single language version.

Does factory reset do install the pre installed windows ver that come with the laptop or is it possible the thief actually installed a pirated ver? Since on my old laptop, the windows is already activated after I factory reset it.

Thank you in advance and sorry if my question is confusing.

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2018 07:00

Jessie21,

It is possible that they installed a pirated version. So, your saying it is now Activated correct?

3 Posts

March 9th, 2018 07:00

Oh no, I was talking about my old laptop before this dell, which also came with pre installed windows.

So I guess factory reset doesn't automatically install the default one (the original pre installed windows)? Is there any way to actually re-install the original one other than using usb recovery media?

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 9th, 2018 09:00

@Jessie21wrote:
Oh no, I was talking about my old laptop before this dell, which also came with pre installed windows.

So I guess factory reset doesn't automatically install the default one (the original pre installed windows)? Is there any way to actually re-install the original one other than using usb recovery media?

Thank you.

Factory reset goes back to what was shipped from the factory.

If you cannot do a factory reset then the recovery partition is gone.

I don't know what you are asking.

No Events found!