Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2015 07:00

Windows 10 Product Key?

I purchased a Inspiron 15-5558 with Windows 10 pre-installed.  It was delivered on the release date (July 29th).  There is no Windows sticker or product key anywhere on the laptop, I even looked under the battery.  Where can I get the code?

5 Posts

April 13th, 2018 05:00

What is the key

5 Posts

April 13th, 2018 05:00

I hope you will respond for my request

1 Message

October 20th, 2018 11:00

@Philip_Yip wrote:

Unfortunately I have not purchased a Windows 10 OEM device to do full testing with.

So maybe I can help you by asking more questions. 

1. It also seems like there is no sticker to identify the Edition? Does the F2 Dell UEFI BIOS setup mention anything about the preinstalled Edition? Power down your computer. Wait 10 seconds and power it up. Press F2 at the Dell BIOS Screen.

1. Dell BIOS

1. BIOS Setup

2. Does the product ID have the words OEM?

3. For the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8.1 OEM the activation was device based but this activation mechanism means Dell have to complete Windows installation and connect every device to the internet...so its more likely a unique key will be embedded in the UEFI BIOS:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

4. Can you tell me if RW-Everything reports a MSDM tab?

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/#OEMKey

Similar to other questions here, I reformated my hard drive and put a Debian Linux version on my Inspiron 5559, and now want to run the MS Win10 Home from a VirtualBox instance. Is there a way to recover the license key? I really just want a plain vanilla version of Win10. 

4 Posts

November 7th, 2018 09:00

On a similar line, is there anyway I can override the builtin OEM key and use my own purchased Win10 Pro Retail key?. I reinstalled onto a clean drive from my own Win10 and was not asked for a key at all. When I checked windows it had a Product ID with OEM near the end. The feature to change the activation key is right there next to the OEM key in the window, but am I letting myself in for a hard time just for it to ignore my key on reboot and install it's builtin OEM key again?

Actually, I got the worst of both worlds - an OEM installation with no DELL extras, so I had to download and install SupportAssistant and Command|Update and then install all the drivers, etc. Just to complete a perfect day, the USB supplied with FQC-10070 was not recognised by the UEFI BIOS (Perfection 5820), and was not even visible so could not be added to the UEFI boot list. Is it possible that, because FQC-10070 is 32/64bit, that it boots 32bit, as I believe UEFI needs a 64bit boot device. Maybe that's nonsense I read somewhere, I'm not sure. However, a 64bit 1803 ISO downloaded from Microsoft and put onto a USB stick with Rufus was seen no problem and was easily added to the boot list.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

November 7th, 2018 12:00

Just enter the new product key and re-activate - no need to reinstall.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

2 Posts

January 8th, 2019 11:00

So what about when installing a new hard drive. It is in the bios. it will automatically detect it? oh & the laptop is a Inspiron 3558.

2 Posts

January 8th, 2019 12:00

oh & the laptop is a Inspiron 3558

1 Message

April 5th, 2019 20:00

Hah!  Received a laptop Inspiron 17 3000 today for my wife & spent most of the afternoon setting it up for her.  Dumped McAfee security immediately & installed Malwarebytes, then ensured Windows Defender was turned on.  

Discovered that Windows was not activated & the Product Activation Key was embedded in the laptop after finally contacting someone from a foreign country who I could barely understand at Dell support. I had previously gone to Settings for activation, then to Microsoft support & help with the usual lack of any useful information.  In the nearly 20 years I've had desktop & laptop computers Microsoft help has never helped one single time.  

In the past I've always received a Product Activation code on a card or paper with my computer.  No longer true, & Microsoft help doesn't tell you how easy it is. I didn't write this down, but you have to go to Settings & then go to Activation - at that point you will be told that you need to punch in the 25 letter, number, etc product Activation key, which you don't have.  Drop down to the Troubleshoot box & that will walk you through the rest of the steps.

I guess what ticks me off is that Dell could easily have sent me a simple instruction sheet on how to do this; instead I had to spend part of my day trying to call some foreign, hard-to-understand, trying to be helpful person to receive the instructions.  So far as Microsoft goes...pay annually for Office, no more Windows Live Movie Maker Maker, continual freaking updates. 

I've been seriously looking at my next laptop - it's called a MAC.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 8th, 2019 18:00

@ralphie pc wrote:

I didn't write this down, but you have to go to Settings & then go to Activation - at that point you will be told that you need to punch in the 25 letter, number, etc product Activation key, which you don't have.  Drop down to the Troubleshoot box & that will walk you through the rest of the steps.

Totally bogus.

On new PCs with Windows 10, Windows is activated.

I bought several new laptops with Windows 10.

Not sure what you did.

June 21st, 2019 08:00

MAY I GET WUNDOWS 8.1 ACTIVATION CODES

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2019 21:00

@activate windows 8.1 wrote:

MAY I GET WUNDOWS 8.1 ACTIVATION CODES

NO
8.0 and 8.1 and 10 have windows genuine label and key in bios.

1 Message

November 27th, 2019 08:00

What do you not understand about having to likely re-install the operating system because something failed?? Why ASSUME someone is stealing?? I have had to reinstall twice already because of failed components.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2019 07:00

Windows 8 and 8.1 and 10 have generic keys.  There is however no key on coa sticker.

Its in the bios.

Keys DO NOT come from Dell nor do they come from the forum.

it's  possible to pre-install Windows 8.x or Windows 10 with a generic key offline. These keys can only install Windows. It's not possible to activate using generic key.

XKY4K-2NRWR-8F6P2-448RF-CRYQH (Windows 8 Pro)
RR3BN-3YY9P-9D7FC-7J4YF-QGJXW (Windows 8 Media Center)
FB4WR-32NVD-4RW79-XQFWH-CYQG3 (Windows 8 Home)

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB (Windows 8.1 Pro)
GBFNG-2X3TC-8R27F-RMKYB-JK7QT (Windows 8.1 Media Center)
334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT (Windows 8.1 Home)

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T (Windows 10 Professional)
YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7 (Windows 10 Home - multi)
BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT (Windows 10 Home - single)

Windows Product Key (DPK): A unique 25-character code used to activate Windows. Digital Product Key (DPK): A unique key in system BIOS that is used for activating Windows  on the system. This is also called a Digital License.

Users do not need to know what this is it figures it out automatically onece you go online.

January 16th, 2020 12:00

Some people are idiots, gotta blow right pass them.

1 Message

February 6th, 2020 14:00

How could I reinstall Windows OS if the service center decides to wipe off my HDD as part of their service? Is it by creating a USB recovery drive?

No Events found!