Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

August 12th, 2015 01:00

Windows 10 upgradability Inspiron 15R 5520

Hi

I bought a Dell 15R 5520 new from Dell Australia in November 2012. It has a 3rd gen Core i7 processor, it’s been upgraded to 8gb of RAM and thus should be able to run Windows 10.

However, when I click the Windows upgrade option all I ever get is “We’re validating Windows 10 for your PC. While upgrades have started for most PCs, we’re continuously working with our partners to ensure that even more PCs work well with Windows 10. Microsoft recommends that you upgrade only after you get your upgrade notification.”

After waiting patiently for the green light I decided to check the Dell website to find out what the holdup was, and received the impression that:

1. Only a limited number of Dell models have been approved for Windows 10, and mine is not on the list (although the 5521 is).
  2. If your machine’s not on the list you dip out, Dell does not intend releasing Windows 10 drivers for them.
  3. By following some convoluted procedure you can install Windows 10 but if you do you may encounter serious problems such as losing your audio or screen brightness control.

I call on someone from Dell to confirm whether or not these impressions are correct.

If they are, I find it incredible that Dell does not provide Windows 10 support for such a recent model and I believe customers are entitled to take appropriate action against the company.

If my information is not correct, would Dell please advise when we might be able to upgrade to Windows 10?

Thank you

Dr Ewan Hoozami

October 31st, 2015 07:00

I agree with you as all the new computers from dell have windows 10 for this will be last computer I buy from dell so disappointed that they will not up grade the BIOS for  Insprion 15R 5520 

1 Message

November 21st, 2015 05:00

Hello.

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and facing blue screen -  "Pagefault in Nonpaged area" all the time. Reinstalled it and all, but it didn't help. Did any of you had the same problem, or is there any problem with my laptop?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 21st, 2015 13:00

Rule of thumb is to always backup before doing anything.

Anyway, see https://www.xtremerain.com/how-to-fix-page-fault-in-non-paged-area/

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hi, yes that does work but wifi keeps going down and you keep having to reset the network adapter. There is no Broadcom driver update for this adapter and windows 10 is not fully working with this adapter. The best solution would be to fit a windows 10 compliant adapter but I understand this part is white listed and so you cannot fit any other product, unless someone one here has replaced this successfully?

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

December 4th, 2015 11:00

Hi lutdcdo1

I.m not sure what you mean by white listed, but I was able to replace my Broadcom with an Intel as I wanted one with WiDi; but Dell did place the adapter in a rather inaccessible position meaning it's quite a job to do the replacement, see the manual for the 5520 for info on how to do it.

It's odd no-one else has reported this issue to my knowledge, and perhaps you should troubleshoot the problem and maybe try updating the firmware of your router before doing the adapter transplant.

Good luck.

1 Message

December 5th, 2015 09:00

I too got the same wifi problem after I upgraded to Windows10.

Reseting the networkadapter seem to be doing the job, but it is a very temporary fix, as the connexion doesnt last for long.

Please advise for permanent a solution.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

December 6th, 2015 12:00

Hi IUTBBDo1

As I said, the only problem with swapping the cards is the accessibility of the slot, check the manual and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, there is another problem, some of the Intel cards have a reputation for wi fi drop outs, so probably avoid the cheaper ones.

Also, some but not all  Intels are WiDi capable, check the Intel site for more info.

5 Posts

December 6th, 2015 12:00

Hi, so called white list components are those parts that will only work within a given machine, luckily this model was released with a couple of network adapters Broadcom (mine) and Intel, not sure if they are interchangable.  My router is fine, I have other items working off it with no problem it's upgrading to windows 10 that is the problem, unfortunately as Dell does not support the os upgrade for this model you have to rely upon the adapters manufacturer to release the driver for it.  This problem is appearing more a nd more in various forums.

5 Posts

December 6th, 2015 13:00

Hi, yes I've seen a couple of videos on how to change them out, trust Dell to locate them in such an inaccessible place.  So if the Intel cards have a problem with dropping out I'm probably better off either waiting for a driver or migrating back to windows 7 of 8.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

December 6th, 2015 14:00

Hi lutbbd01

Mine's an N 7260 I got on Ebay for 17 Australian dollars, so it may not
even be a genuine Intel, and I suspect many of the bad reviews may be
caused by cheap clones.

That said, mine runs fine if you disable the /n option, which I don't need.
Anyway, I'm not going to swap it again!

If you've never successfully dismantled and reassembled a laptop I'd suggest you get someone who has to do it.

5 Posts

December 6th, 2015 14:00

Hi, was yours an Intel card before you changed it?

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

December 6th, 2015 15:00

No, I had the Broadcom, which worked fine, but it did not have WiDi capability. I swapped it before the Win10 update, so can't tell you whow it went with Win 10. Still think you should try the router firmware upgrade first, it mightn't fix the problem, but it won't hurt.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2016 12:00

Hi,

sorry for my English.

how to solve this problem. it was to update the bios.

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 07:00

I have a similar issue in that I have Inspiron 5520 but did get Windows 10 installed last Fall 2015.  Things have mostly worked OK but recently my touchpad won't stay turned OFF.  I use a mouse and having the touchpad on is annoying.  Despite the fact that all the "switches" say it's turned OFF - it's not.  If anyone has suggestions on how to fix this issue I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!  

1 Message

September 8th, 2016 09:00

I figured out that every time I try installing windows 8.1 audio drivers I end up with incompatible drivers for MaxxAudio. The thing is, every time you will try installing it. it will give you one of the following drivers instead (even if you are installing win 8.1 drivers.....)

So you will end up with win 7 x86 drivers, win 7 x64 or win 8 x86 drivers, again, even if you are installing the latest x64 drivers for windows 8.1 (which work on windows 10 perfectly, YES IT DOES...)

What I did to Solve the problem:

1- Downloaded Audio_Driver_Y1116_WN_8.54.40.0_A00.EXE  (Again I know many of you did that already and had no luck...)
I have no idea what the zipped format contains, whether the files are separated or not..

2- Download and install the app named: UniExtract which we need in order the extract what's inside the .exe file, again, I do not know if the files are separated when extracted from the compressed file which you can download from the site, and if they are, cheers, no need for this step or the next one...

3- Now right click the audio driver's file and then click uniextract to subdir which will give you whatever inside the file..

4- Go to the folder where u extracted the files and there you will find the drivers for 4 types of windows!!! yup...all of them!!!! win7 x86, win7 x64m win8 x86 and at last (the one we need) win8.1 x64
navigate to production>Windows8-x64 and start installing by clicking Setup64.exe

This should do it!!! Because this file is for windows 7 and 8, it cannot detect that you are using windows 10, that is why it will keep installing the wrong drivers and that is why you need to install windows 8 x64 drivers  directly from the folder which work on windows 10 perfectly with MaxxAudio and all!

Cheers :)

No Events found!