Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

July 13th, 2017 02:00

XPS 15-L521X, Windows 10 Anniversary Update, slow

After windows 10 anniversary update my XPS 15-L521X became really slow, in particular with photoshop, illustrator, indesign. The fan it's always on. I recently upgraded ram from 8gb to 16gb and seems nothing changed. Do you suggest me to return to windows 7 or 8.1? I remember that performance was better with win 8.1. At the same time my XPS has now 5 years, so, maybe, the issue is not with the OS but with the machine itself? There is someone who test same problems?

Thanks in advance.

• 

17K Posts

July 13th, 2017 07:00

lucioruv,
Follow the steps below to help the performance of your system.

How To Fix Windows 10 Slow Performance
If you’re noticing Windows 10 slow performance, try changing the Initial Size and Maximum Size to the Recommended File Size for both.
Open Start Menu and find the Control Panel. Click on it.
Here in the Control Panel, go to the Search field at the top-right of the window and type Performance. Now hit Enter.
Now find Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
Go to the Advanced tab and click on Change in the Virtual Memory section.
Now uncheck the option Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
Select the default C: drive where Windows 10 is installed and then choose Custom Size. Then change Initial Size and Maximum Size to the recommended values by Windows which is in the Total Paging File Size For All Drives section.
Now click Set and then hit OK to save the settings.
Reboot the computer for the changes to take effect and fix the Windows 10 slow performance.

Option 2: How To Fix Windows 10 Slow Performance
This tip is an oldie but goodie. These settings have been around since Windows XP, but you can still apply them to Windows 10. These will help visually speed things up in Windows 10, especially if you have an older video card or a machine with less RAM.
– Search for your Control Panel
– Click on System
– Click on Advanced System Settings in the left column
– Under the Advanced tab, click on Settings in the Performance box
I always uncheck the following:
– Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing
– Animations in the taskbar
– Enable Peek (sometimes I leave this one on)
– Fade or slide menus into view
– Fade or slide ToolTips into view
– Fade out menu items after click

July 13th, 2017 07:00

This is a common problem now after the anniversary update. the general slow performance troubleshooting had failed to resolve the issue most of the time. Microsoft will not accept that as known issue. i ended up doing refresh (keep my files) which took care of the problem 100%. please make sure the HDD is good before you try any s/w troubleshooting.Check for any pending update for the programs running slow.

7 Posts

July 13th, 2017 08:00

Thanks, I did but with no great changes...

7 Posts

July 13th, 2017 08:00

Thanks.

I already did a clean installation.

It is possible that my pc, L521X, doesn't not function well with windows anniversary update

7 Posts

July 16th, 2017 04:00

Thanks.

I already did a clean installation.

It is possible that my pc, L521X, doesn't not function well with windows anniversary update

7 Posts

July 18th, 2017 03:00

does someone have other suggestions?

thanks in advance

31 Posts

September 13th, 2017 10:00

With regards this...

"Then change Initial Size and Maximum Size to the recommended values by Windows which is in the Total Paging File Size For All Drives section."

Minimum Recommened: 16MB

Recommended: 1904MB

Currently Allocated: 8192MB

Which of the 3 above do I enter in "Intial Size" and "Maximum Size"?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

September 13th, 2017 11:00

I'd go back to Windows 8.1.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 13th, 2017 15:00

If there isn't any error code:

When the computer is running slow, I suggest you use the Processes tab in Task Manager to identify which programs are consuming more memory, disk and network in real time. Please watch Dell video below:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" Thanks, I did but with no great changes..."

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming you ran the diagnostic tool to check the hardware on the system? After the quick tests finished, you click on hard drive, and select Thorough Test Mode in diagnostic? How about Memory as well? If no, I suggest you follow the steps below.

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on hard drive, and then Thorough Test Mode.  Run Memory as well. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

By the way, keep an eye out for either CPU, Memory and Disk being 100% in task manager.  

October 13th, 2018 02:00

Apparently this issue is still unresolved (October 18).
No Events found!