Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

May 17th, 2018 01:00

XPS 8900, Windows 10 1803, sleep issues

I have a Dell XPS 8900 that had no problems with “sleep mode”. After 10 min. the screen went dark and after 30 min the CPU went into sleep mode and just shaking the mouse wakes the CPU up to the “Password” screen. Last week I installed Windows 10 Release 1803 and now after 30 min the CPU actually shuts down and even the Power button is dark. When the CPU is repowered after the Dell logo disappears a blue screen titled “Recovery; It looks like Windows didn’t load correctly”.  I chose the “Reboot PC” option and the CPU goes through several attempts but finally opens to the “Password” screen and then opens to the desktop and works properly. But if the CPU is idle for a period of time it again shuts down and even the Power button is dark.

I have checked the following:

Start > Setting > System > Power & Sleep

here settings are:

“Screen” is set to 10 Min.

“Sleep” is set to 30 min.

Under “Related Settings” link the setting is “Preferred Plan Dell”

Next I used the “Change Plan Settings” link

“Screen” is set to 10 Min.

“Sleep” is set to 30 min.

I next used the “Change Advanced Power Settings” link

Now using “Power Options > Advanced Settings”

Here the settings were

“HD” = Turn off after 20 Min.

“Sleep”

Sleep After = 30 Min.

Allow Hybrid Sleep = Off

Hibernate After = Never

Allow Wake Up Timer = Enabled

“Power Button & Lid”

I am using a desktop CPU so don’t think this is a factor

After all these checks the CPU shuts down instead of going to sleep and goes through this unusual power up.

Finally I used Command Prompt “shutdown /s” command to cleanly shutdown the CPU. This shutdown the CPU and now the initial power up was normal. But again instead of going into sleep and waking up with a shake of the mouse the CPU shutdown.

I set the

“Screen” is set to Never

“Sleep” is set to 30 Never

and I am able to use the PC.

I am looking for any help for this problem

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 17th, 2018 03:00

Maybe going back to the previous version of Win 10 and then upgrading again will fix it?  I had a major problem with a Win 10 "upgrade" (not 1803) and had to fall back then reinstall the new upgrade to fix it.  

Here is how to restore to the previous version.  Restore and see if Sleep works OK.  

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4097-go-back-previous-version-windows-windows-10-a.html

1 Message

May 26th, 2018 20:00

Hello!

Looks like I have a very similar problem. I updated today to Version 1803 and now rather than going into Sleep Mode, my CPU shuts down and I have to hit the power button to start it up again. Really annoying! The only difference I see to your issue is that mine will go briefly to the blue screen but I don't get the "Recovery" message - it does go to the login screen from there. Still, I need to access my desktop several times a day which is why I rarely ever shut it down....

Let me know if you get any answers....

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 27th, 2018 03:00

Yours is apparently never getting to sleep mode.  Its "blue screening" and shutting off.  

Sounds like an OS corruption.  Did you try going back to the previous version, like I mentioned to the other user?  Make sure it still works OK on the earlier version, then do the upgrade again.

1 Message

May 29th, 2018 09:00

This a problem with windows 10 v1803 and the precision 5520 / XPS 9000 series. It works on 1709 but there is a problem with units not coming out of sleep mode correctly with no fix as of yet.

June 14th, 2018 07:00

I have this problem too. Hoping to find a solution soon.

1 Message

June 15th, 2018 20:00

I am also experiencing sleep mode failure problems after installing Windows 10 ‘1803’ a week or so ago on my 2009 Dell 9000/435T desktop computer. It appears that the update is the kiss-of-death for my computer’s sleep / hibernate modes. I’ve spent countless hours researching and have tried everything possible to fix the issue, but nothing works. I even contacted Microsoft about the problem—and got zero cooperation and results.

I upgraded my system from the OEM Windows 7 OS to Windows 10 when it was officially released and never experienced a single issue downloading and installing any updates. I never experienced any driver or component compatibility issues either. Dell does not list the 9000/435T as being tested to function with Windows 10. However, I’ve never had a single issue with the computer’s sleep / hibernation modes.

Long story short, I believe that the problem is totally related my computer’s outdated (legacy) BIOS and drivers. Dell no longer supports my system with an updated BIOS or drivers. Therefore, I am convinced that Microsoft (inadvertently) introduced incompatibility issues in version 1803 with their focus on advanced technology.  

Oh well, at least I can still use my beloved 9000, less the sleep mode. The computer is a real jewel—a true workhorse that has been totally reliable; still fast as ever with first generation Intel Core i7 920, 2.67 GHz CPU, 12 Gigs of RAM and GTX GeForce 750Ti GPU.

Lastly, maybe someone or Microsoft will eventually offer a fix. Until it happens, the sleep mode thing certainly won’t deter me from using a still great computer. At the same time, I won’t be holding my breath realizing that my system is ten years old

590 Posts

November 18th, 2018 11:00

Have a Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 [Tower] running Windows 10 [Pro] as well.  I stopped Windows Update on version 1709 before 1803 came out but let 1803 through recently for a hardware upgrade (to multiple bootable M.2 NVMe SSDs - which I got working, BTW with specific SSDs and adapters).  Started having issues with Hybrid Sleep and thought it was due to the NVMe SSD upgrade - but, obviously not....

Still investigating, but just wanted to report a few things I noticed. 

Sometimes it works and sometimes not - might be timing related. 

Once, I changed both Power Options "Allow wake timers" and "PCI Express", "Link State Power Management" settings and restarted and on shutdown it restarted for a few seconds and then turned off.  After that Hybrid Sleep worked for a while.

Others have reported on different machines that whether it crashes on wake is related to how long its been asleep.  Anyway, I'd had been testing and trying wake after less than a minute.  So, I tried waiting over 30 minutes.  Hybrid Sleep worked!  (I had also left "Turn off hard disk after" at the default of 20 minutes - I usually set it to Never/0 - but I don't think that's related.)  Anyway, need to see how long I have to wait and whether its consistent.

Also, another Dell X58 desktop in the house (a Studio XPS 435MT [Mini Tower]) doesn't seem to have any Sleep issues (although with v1803 the audio and mouse stutter unless the Intel RST driver is changed to an earlier version - note Windows is running on a 2.5" SSD).

Anyway, there's enough hope that it might be possible to get this working again.  Just wish Microsoft QA would thoroughly regression test Power Option settings. So many people with machines of all different types and ages - even recently released ones - keep having issues with Sleep when a new release of Windows 10 comes out.

No Events found!