Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2017 10:00

XPS 8920 will not sleep on its own

Brand new 8920, Win 10 Pro + creators update. DIdn't test it prior to creators. Checked all the settings in control panel -> power options, they seem to be set correctly for my wanted time out. The display will go to sleep, and the screen saver password will lock as well after X amount of time. But the system itself won't spin down the disks and sleep no matter what time length I set it to. I can't seem to find any application that would be keeping it on. Also weird is that I can force sleep by manually selecting sleep from Start button -> shut down -> sleep, which works fine. Event Viewer isn't really providing anything useful.

??

Thanks Dell folks.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 30th, 2017 06:00

Thank you for your message.

Open power option & choose to restore default settings & restart the computer.

Make sure that all Windows updates are completed.

Update the Chipset from this link http://dell.to/2x4KpUx  follow by BIOS here http://dell.to/2xFZuQM  & reboot the computer.

For my reference, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

2 Posts

September 30th, 2017 07:00

Already done this previously. Also, it is a brand new install, from scratch. Erased entire drive contents during new install of windows 10 pro. Then installed the creator's update. Then all available windows 10 updates. Although Windows 10 updates gets most of the onboard drivers ok from Windows Update, I installed all the ones that are provided by Dell from the Drivers and Downloads site for the XPS 8920 one at a time. The chipset driver you suggested matches the one that I previously downloaded (since that is the most recent one on the Dell site for the XPS 8920).

Everything else appears to work ok except for the timed sleep function (although I admit I have not tried a manual hibernation either at this time, that is not a feature I need). Again, manual sleep works ok, it just will not sleep of its own accord. I suspect 3rd party software, but also cannot find any software that would cause this.

Thanks for your time. If you have any other ideas, I would welcome them.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 03:00

Please disable all startup items.  Right-click on time & click on task manager – click on the startup tab – disable all options including the anti-virus.

There could be applications or devices like your wireless card /network card which is not allowing the device to sleep automatically.

What the sleep time set in power options?

Have you reinstalled the OS with a Dell image?

No Events found!