Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TR

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

October 13th, 2020 18:00

XPS 8930, more operating system problems

Really starting to wish I'd bought a computer from another company, this thing has been nothing but a pain. So the newest problem (because there's a new problem every week with this thing), is that now it won't display thumbnails. I have a ton of images I have to manipulate and use and keep them in separate folders. But now, for no good reason, this XPS piece of junk won't display the thumbnails, only the icons.

Yes, I've gone into folder options and ensured that the box 'don't show thumbnails' is not checked. 
Yes, I've gone into disc cleanup and deleted temp files, including the thumbnail files, and restarted the computer. That works for about 10 minutes. Then when I open the folder, it's just icons again.  The frustrating thing is, it'll show only about 3 or 4 thumbnails out of 500 or so. Which makes no sense because the ones showing are the exact same type of file (jpeg) as the ones NOT showing.

Anyone have any idea to help? I can't click thru and look at EVERY image to find what I need, I really need the thumbnails to work.

Help, please.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

October 13th, 2020 20:00

More info:

When I am in a folder and use my mouse wheel to quickly scroll up and down while viewing the picture icons, at times an image will very briefly change from icon to thumbnail, but it never stays.

I opened one of the folders and switched from large icons to medium icons and a few actually turned into thumbnails, but not many. When I go back to large icons, they pretty much all go back to icon.  I went through the display settings but couldn't find anything that changed them. 

• 

25.7K Posts

October 13th, 2020 21:00

Have you tried downloading the application?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 14th, 2020 04:00

@Texas-Raider I am not sure why you blame the XPS for a problem that is obviously related to the Windows operating system. Perhaps this article will help fix the thumbnail problem: https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/restore-missing-thumbnails-in-windows-10/

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 14th, 2020 12:00

@Texas-Raider  In addition to the link @Vic384 posted, you may also need to increase the size of the thumbnail cache so it can store more thumbnails.

You should read Step 4 here. CAVEAT: You make any/all registry edits at your own risk.

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

October 14th, 2020 19:00

Well the above poster who chided me for ripping my Dell had a point, turns out it was a Microsoft issue after all.

Left me a bit red-faced for screaming about it over *that* particular issue (it has had many bugs since I got it), but this time it wasn't the computer. Turns out that if OneDrive if set up in a certain way and you disable it, certain file won't get the info they need to display correctly. You can still get the files to open, but not display. OneDrive has to be set up in a certain way to stop this. Who knew?

But thanks to all who responded, appreciate your input!

1 Rookie

• 

513 Posts

October 15th, 2020 06:00

@Texas-Raider 

I have had this same problem. I don't know exactly what I did to fix it. Maybe a Windows Update. Or maybe a disk cleanup. 

I do run disk cleanup and c Cleaner often. I never have done the command prompt. So I am thinking it was a bug and a Windows update fixed it. 

No Events found!