Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2015 09:00

can not create recovery disk error on Inspiron 15 5000 with Windows 10

I just got Inspiron 15 5000 with Windows 10 and tried to create recovery disk, and got an error message saying "can not create recovery disk" after it tried to initialize for a while.   I waited over night thinking it might be running update and tried this morning, but still no change.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 5th, 2015 10:00

Here is an article on resetting or reinstalling Windows 10 that you may find helpful. This article has directions on creating restore media in Windows 10.

Create recovery media for your Dell computer

To create recovery media, follow these steps:

1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "create recovery".
    1. Select Create a recovery drive.
    1. Select Yes to open the Recovery Drive wizard, then click Next, making sure to keep the check box next to Back up system files to the recovery drive checked.
    1. Connect the USB flash drive to an available USB port, make sure that the drive selected is correct, and then click Next.

All data on the USB key will be deleted by this process.

1. When files have finished copying to the drive, click Finish.

Remove the drive and store in a safe location.

August 5th, 2015 21:00

The problem, Terry, is that your procedure doesn't work.  The recovery drive creation process grinds away for 20 minutes or so, then fails with an unhelpful message.  I tried removing my anti-virus software before running the create a recovery drive process, but that did  not help.

If I uncheck the "Back up system files to the recovery drive" box, the process succeeds, but that only provides utilities, not a full recovery drive.

I have googled this and others have the same issue.  Mine is on a brand new Inspiron T5 7000 with a brand new SanDisk 16 gb thumb drive.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2015 22:00

It does not work.  leaving "Back up system files to the recovery drive" unchecked, then it works.  but if I check "Back up system files to the recovery drive", then I get "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive". 

I reset my laptop with "Remove files and clean the drive" option, but the same result...

Also, when I go to tech support chat and type in my service tag, it shows warranty is expired...  even though it shows system shipped Aug 5th 2015.   what's going on, dell???

August 6th, 2015 20:00

I am having the same issue.  I have tried 3 different USB flash drives and it errors at the exact same spot.  I installed all Windows 10 updates as of 8/6/15 and still having the same problem.  It always errors when it reaches 4,085,923,840 bytes.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 7th, 2015 13:00

I checked on my Win 10 system and the process that I listed to create recovery media is the correct process. There aren’t any other steps that I could find to create recovery media.

Here are some troubleshooting steps.

Verify that you are using at least a 16 GB USB drive.

Test and see if you are able to copy any data to any of your USB drives to verify if this is a problem specifically with the Windows Recovery Media Creation utility or with copying files to USB media in general.

Try a different USB ports, switch between the USB 2.0, USB 3.0 or the PowerShare port and see if it makes a difference.

Try other USB keys, or try your current USB key on another system just to verify if your USB key is functional or not.

While attempting the backup make sure that the AC adapter is connected, and you may wish to change the power scheme to “high Performance” while attempting creating restore media.

Try using a powered USB HUB to create the recovery media.

Please reply back as rjhellmannjr has if you have verified that the USB media is working correctly and you continue to have problems with creating Recovery Media.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 7th, 2015 13:00

amnhr,

I have sent you a friend request, please accept it so that I can send a private message.

TB

4 Posts

August 7th, 2015 14:00

I processed the friend request.   I tried 3 different USB drives, which all 16G drive on different ports.  But all same result.  The error comes up right after I hit the first "Next" on "Create a recovery drive" window.  I can not get to the "Connect a USB flash drive" page when I have "Back up system files to ..." checked.  If I leave the option unchecked, then I can get to "Connect a USB flash drive" page, then I can proceed.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2015 09:00

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron "All in one" and am having the same EXACT issue.
I have tried all the USB ports, with a 16G Kinston drive,32G A-data drive,and a 64G PNY USB drive.
The 64G I only bought because "Best Buys" Geek squad thought the issue was the system underestimating the space required....It is not!
Sometimes I never even get to the message asking for a 16G drive, it just grinds away, doing nothing, but when it does occasionally "get there", and I press next, wait 15-20 minutes, I get the following message.
We can't create the recovery drive
A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive.

What a useless message...No cause or code...Just a generic message.
I have not tried unchecking the backup system files box....because then it's not a recovery disc.
I have seen multiple Dell customers posting this issue in various forums and even in reviews....But I have yet to find a Solution.
If you find a solution please post it....And I will do the same... if I find it before I get fed up and take it back.

1 Message

August 8th, 2015 15:00

I am having the same problem on a Inspiron 3847 I just received.  When will a fix from Dell be available?

August 9th, 2015 11:00

I have an Inspiron 3847.  I am still having the problem.  I have tried several 32gb USB drives and USB ports.  The computer is able to write to the drive.  When creating the disk, it always errors when the it gets to 4,085,923,840 bytes no matter what port or USB drive I use.  I was not able to find a "high performance" power scheme and I don't have a powered USB HUB.

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 11:00

I am experiencing the same problem with a brand new 5558 with Windows 10 Home.  Should I exchange this laptop for one with Windows 8.1?  This issue needs to be resolved immediately.

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 15:00

I am having the same issue on a brand new purchased XPS 13 with upgraded windows 10. 

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 17:00

Ditto on new Dell Inspiron 15; 11-Aug-2015.

We need a solution soon or I have two new computers that are going back.

August 11th, 2015 20:00

I am having the problem on my new Inspiron 15 7558, which came with Windows 10 pre-installed.

A few days ago I purchased a second laptop, an Inspiron 14 3451 for my wife.  Using the same thumb drive which repeatedly failed on the Inspiron 15, I was able to successfully create a Windows 10 Recovery Drive on the Inspiron 14.  That makes me believe the thumb drive is not the problem.

Here are the differences between the two machines.
--One is an Inspiron 15 and the other an Inspiron 14.
--The 15, with the problem, had Windows 10 preinstalled by Dell.  The 14 came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to 10 myself.
--On the 15, I installed Norton (and deinstalled McAfee) prior to attempting to create the recovery drive.  On the 14, I created the recovery drive before installing Norton (it did not ask to deinstall McAfee).
--On the 15, when starting the process to create the recovery drive, a message said the thumb drive had to be at least 16 gb (it is 16 gb).  On the 14, the similar message said the thumb drive had to be at least 8 gb.
--I installed MS Office 2013 on the 15 before I tried to create the recovery drive.  On the 14, I waited until after the recovery drive was created before I installed MS Office 2013.

Should I need to recover, will the recovery drive I created on the 14 work on the 15?  Or is the recovery drive device-specific?

Thank you for your assistance.

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 23:00

Same as the others.  Ordered new Inspiron 15 5558 windows 10 installed.  following the quick start guide.  1) connect power and turn on  2) enable dell updates, connect to network, create a local account.  then page 3 - create recovery media, it processes for about 30 seconds then says can not create recovery disk.  I never get to the point where it says to connect a USB drive.  I have rebooted a few times. same result.  Won't use this machine further until i have this recovery media.  nothing has been installed or changed out of the box 2 days ago, except on a reboot windows 10 did do an update already.  Hopefully Dell can find a solution soon so i can use this laptop and won't have to return it.

No Events found!