Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2016 08:00

no driver updates after upgrading to Windows 10?

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5348 which came with Windows 8.1 and I fully updated before upgrading to Windows 10. 

Now when I try to look for any Driver updates it detects my service tag and express code but thinks I'm still on Windows 8.1.

I click Detect Drivers and download the Dell System Detect exe, open that and the page gets stuck in a endless loop reloading while trying to see what drivers my computer needs.

I stopped it and looked at the option: Need help finding drivers compatible with Windows 10? Let us help

and the page was blank.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea going to Windows 10 - or is there some way to fix the problem?

Cheers, Paul

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 08:00

i've checked around the web for software that automatically updates my PC's drivers and i think i'll rather Download slim driver free

2.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 09:00

Hello!  First off you will want to address any further questions to the Windows 10 forum, however you can find your drivers here.  Just select windows 10. 

70 Posts

January 24th, 2016 12:00

Hi Dell-Chris M, Thank you for your message.

I stumbled onto the path you mentioned above this morning to find the list for Windows 10 drivers, I gather for my Inspiron 5348.

Sorry but I am unsure now though whether you mean I should install the drivers on that list or whether Windows 10 will do it automatically?

Windows 10 does seem to be working well, just that somebody told me I should update drivers. Then I ran into the problem of trying to get the Dell website to do it for me.

I did update drivers with Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10.

Cheers, Paul

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 24th, 2016 12:00

The service tag part of the file library is hit or miss. We have notified the team. The only time you need to use our dedicated Windows 10 drivers is to load the device drivers after you install Windows 10. Once done, you should only be using the Windows 10 Updates application. Below is how you find drivers for your system. Please save this for future use =

* Go here
* Under "Browse for a product", click "View products"
* Choose "Desktops & All-in-Ones"
* Click "Inspiron"
* Click "Inspiron 5348"
* Click "Drivers & downloads"
* Click "Find it myself"
* Click "Change OS"
* Click "Windows 10, 64-bit"

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 25th, 2016 05:00

Open the Device manager. If you do not see any unknown devices or devices with a ? or ! on them, you do not need to install any of our Windows 10 drivers. Just do Windows 10 updates through their tool.

70 Posts

January 25th, 2016 08:00

Thank you very much for such a simple answer to this question! I think that's what I needed to hear.

I opened Device Manager and there are no ? or ! on them so I think its all good.

But could you tell me why there are a fair number of items in the list of Windows 10 Driver updates when I look at the "I'll do it myself" tab and select Windows 10? 

A few files including Application, Audio, Bios, Chipset, Network, OS, Storage Controller, and Video.

Many Thanks, Paul

70 Posts

January 25th, 2016 09:00

Excellent info - thanks again Chris.

I think I am all set then, and can let automatic Windows 10 updates do everything from here on.

Cheers, Paul

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 25th, 2016 09:00

If a user erases the hard disk drive and does a clean install of Windows 10, they would need all of those drivers and applications. A user who does a dirty install of Windows 10 on top of an existing operating system, does not need them all.

February 17th, 2016 22:00

The service tag part of the file library is hit or miss. We have notified the team. The only time you need to use our dedicated Windows 10 drivers is to load the device drivers after you install Windows 10. Once done, you should only be using the Windows 10 Updates application. Below is how you find drivers for your system. Please save this for future use =

* Go here
* Under "Browse for a product", click "View products"
* Choose "Desktops & All-in-Ones"
* Click "Inspiron"
* Click "Inspiron 5348"
* Click "Drivers & downloads"
* Click "Find it myself"
* Click "Change OS"
* Click "Windows 10, 64-bit"

Mine is an Inspiron 3542 laptop. I don't mean to go against your advice. The Dell site isn't a panacea because stuff comes & goes on there. For a few weeks, it's been showing me only an nVidia graphics driver (which I don't use), instead of also the Intel graphics driver I do use. But today the Intel driver is back & the NVidia driver is gone. (It used to be both would show up under my tag. I understand not all 3542's are equipped the same.) Also, one must be wary which Wireless WiFi driver to take (1704 or 1705). Best look in Device Manager to see what's already there, before updating graphics or WiFi. And I won't take Dell Update back in - it never did really work. I'm doing without the Dell Foundation Services as well, which, itself, sometimes is there & sometimes is not. Lastly, having the site detect & install drivers worked - but only detected 5 of the 12 that were there for me.

But BIOS & firmware updates won't come in through Windows Update. Those must be installed manually, if wanted. Also, both Windows Update & Dell Update had ample time to automatically lift my driver versions to what I saw at the site (12 were greater versions than I had) - but only the touchpad & airplane mode switch drivers ever updated on their own. It must have been Windows Update that did those two, because I had higher versions than at the Dell site. So, I took the 12 others, & they installed well.

Now at last, the Dell site has a touchpad driver with a greater version, & it has installed well, replacing v.19.0.15.2...

It could be that one would have come in on its own had I waited. It has a released date of 2/16/16.

70 Posts

February 18th, 2016 08:00

Hi PCR, Have to say this driver update issue is totally confusing. I got the impression (despite some suggestions otherwise) that in fact no driver updates were required. Now I'm not sure again whether I need any or not.

How can anybody tell whether driver updates are really required or not? I did a so-called "dirty install" of Windows 10 and all is well at the moment.

As I mentioned above, a number of supposed driver updates can be found on the list - but I was told I don't need them. Does everybody encounter the same confusion regarding drivers after updating to Windows 10?

After running into serious troubles after upgrading to Windows 10 I certainly don't want to make things worse installing driver updates that aren't actually required.

Cheers, Paul

February 18th, 2016 20:00

Remember this article I posted in our other thread...?...

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297955#System-Support-Matrix

Windows 10 Upgrade Walkthrough

It says to update drivers both before & after the upgrade. More/less, I did that - certainly I've got the latest Win 10 Dell drivers now from the site - & all is well, more/less. OK, lately, every 3rd day/so I get a message the graphics driver failed but has recovered. Indeed it is quick to recover. I'm not worried enough to seek a solution. I've got Intel Graphics HD Driver, v.10.18.15.4274...

Oddly, that driver had disappeared from the Dell site for a bit - but has reappeared.

I'm overall pleased with my experience. But really I cannot go against one who wishes not to update drivers when all is going well enough as is.

October 2nd, 2017 17:00

(1) Which Dell have you got & does Dell have Win 10 driver versions for it?

(2) What version of Windows 10 is installed?

(3a) Which driver is a problem, if any, and

(3b) have you checked the site of the component manufacturer?

(4) Did you install Slim Driver yet - which drivers did it update?

August 3rd, 2019 18:00

Hi!

The touch screen on the Inspiron 5348 all-in-one does not work after upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks.

No Events found!