Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

October 9th, 2017 22:00

"SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools" update

This problem is in no way resolved for me. I bought the Inspiron 5000 series laptop in June and the tools popup began few weeks ago. I have found no cure despite all the forum talk of hot fix updates and other suggestions. I have updated all drivers, used system detect method, etc. Popups are daily which I initially thought could be malware because nothing permanent happens apparently when people try to install..  

• 

17K Posts

October 11th, 2017 07:00

orangewillie,

1. Click "Start | All Programs | Dell Support Center | Dell Support Center Alerts." The Dell Support Center program window opens.
2. Select "User Settings" and select the "Alerts" tab.

3. Select "Disable" beneath Notification in the Notification Settings section. Dell Support Alerts are automatically disabled.

1 Message

October 14th, 2017 14:00

I'm having the same issue on my Inspiron 13 5000.  The instructions above don't work on Windows 10.  Can you help?  I found the Desktop Alerts for Notifications but there are many categories for different types of notifications and I don't want to disable them for all important updates.

Also your instructions seem to only mask the underlying issue. Even when I open up Support Assist, it keeps telling me I need an update over and over again.

Please help. Thanks

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 00:00

Same problem here with Inspiron 17 5000.

@ DELL_Jesse L: It's not a solution to remove the thermometer to avoid fever!!!

16 Posts

November 4th, 2017 04:00

Please follow these steps to fix your problem:

It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of your problem.

Scan the Computer with Reimage Repair Tool

This repair tool is free to download as well as easy to use. It scans, detects and repairs your computer for system errors like Dell Update stuck on "SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools". The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.

1. Download Reimage Repair Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Reimage Repair Tool Download Link (right-click and save to your Desktop)

2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.

3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Leave the checkbox unticked to allow the repair tool to start an automatic scan and click Install to start the installation procedure.

4. Reimage will now install itself on your computer. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point.

5. The tool will automatically start a preliminary scan of your machine to help determine the health of your PC.

6. Once the scan is complete Reimage will tell you which areas of your PC are damaged and if a repair is necessary. If it is, click on the Start Repair button in the bottom right corner.

7. After Reimage has finished it's repair your computer should be fixed. You may need to restart your computer to complete the process.

How does it work?

This tool will scan and diagnose, then repairs, your PC with patent pending technology that fix your windows operating system registry structure. 
basic features: (repairs system freezing and rebooting issues , start-up customization , browser helper object management , program removal management , live updates , windows structure repair.)

November 4th, 2017 09:00

That appears to be an advert for a third-party product, and may have appeared on other threads and discussions for all we know.  How can anyone know whether it is reliable, trustworthy and not a gateway for malware, or malware itself?  There are several tools with similar names and some are already documented as known scams or malware,

I would suggest anyone reading the previous post should take great care.

1 Message

December 25th, 2017 17:00

/Bump

Am having the same issue. I suspect there is malware nam d similar to PC Doctor which powers Support Assist, but startup tasks hav3 flagged and I’ve clicked install on this recovery OS a couple times as I just got my Inspiron 13 7373 last week. I’m tempted to do a clean install of windows, and completely agree with Atilla (lol at name) re the post above hers. A non-designated poster would not be typing in directions to download software from an unknown link and that it magically repairs windows and other issues (specifically, it fixes this one, please).  

With my last Dell the system detect on the support website would actually scan my computer and tell me which drivers are outdated.  Is it standard practice that we are supposed to know ourselves which chipset is outdated or if the most recent Realtek drivers are installed?

While I’m posting I might as well ask/comment that my headphones do not work at all with the laptop and the sound is awful. Sounds like crackling anytime I move the mouse.  I have a Dell USB to HDMI/ethernet adapter where I can plug in my dorky work headphones with mic for Skype calls into one of the this external USB port on the adapter and the sound is mostly decent, so there must be something up with the single left side jack.  

Anyone who cares to respond to ANY of my questions is welcomed/encouraged/bribed.  But seriously, *** Dell???

DRJ

January 23rd, 2018 08:00

Are you still seeing this problem?

Can you share the version of the following applications in "Programs and Features" of settings app in Win10?

1) Dell SupportAssist Remediation

2) Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin

I had seen these popups couple of times in a row and then it corrected by itself. Now I don't see persistent popups. I have 3.1.1.3832 version on my XPS system.

January 24th, 2018 13:00

Are you still seeing this problem?

Can you share the version of the following applications in "Programs and Features" of settings app in Win10?

1) Dell SupportAssist Remediation

2) Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin

I had seen these popups couple of times in a row and then it corrected by itself. Now I don't see persistent popups. I have 3.1.1.3832 version on my XPS system.

Thanks

November 19th, 2018 14:00

Same issue here on my Dell/Alienware Aurora R7 desktop.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

August 29th, 2019 10:00

Still researching (obviously, as I'm in this thread!) why the SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools "critical update" won't install.

However, I noticed your issue with your headphones, and wanted to add a comment about my recent experience with a similar problem on my Inspiron 1550. From the start, my headphone jack was flaky, but I could usually get it to work, and because I paid extra for a 3-Year Premium Support warranty, I assumed I could get it fixed anytime during that period. My laptop is only about a year and a half old. The jack finally failed completely and when I contacted DELL support, they tried to tell me the issue was "wear and tear" (I don't use the jack THAT much!) and wasn't covered under my expensive, extra-cost warranty. After wasting a ton of time refusing to accept that answer, and after the "technician" asked his "manager" several times, they finally agreed to replace my motherboard. After that, the service was fine, though the motherboard was not a new one, but a remanufactured one. But the headphone jack is (so far) fine on the new board, so in the end I was satisfied. But I remember when DELL had some of the best support in the business. Now that they are (presumably) the WORLD's largest purveyor of computer systems, they seem to have some of the worst support in the business. It seems to pay to keep after them if you aren't getting the support you expect and deserve.

Back to my our initial problem with SupportAssist. I see DELL offers only very limited online chat service -- why??? And when I tried to contact them today, three times I got no response after I stated my issue, in spite of repeated prompting to see if anyone was still "chatting" with me. As I said -- DELL, some of the worst support I've ever experienced! From one of the biggest and richest companies in the business.

No Events found!