Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 15th, 2012 08:00

Upgrading Inspiron 2305 to Windows 8???

I have an Inspiron One 2305 All in One with touch display and was planning to upgrade to Windows 8.  However, I just noticed on the Dell Support site that they do not support the upgrade, and thus, don't recommend owners of this computer doing the upgrade.

Anyone done and it, and if so, any issues???  Is it worth it?  I'm trying to take more advantage of my Touch capability I have today.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 17th, 2012 11:00

Not supporting a model does not mean it won't work. It just means Dell will not provide win 8 drivers, software etc. Download and run the Windows Upgrade Assistant on the win 8 download page to see if your hardware will work with win 8 and then decide. IMO you should stay with win 7. Windows 8 will not help with Touch without win 8 drivers for it. It might not even work at all.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 13:00

Yes, It works.  I have it running, and like it very much  The Inspiron One is only a two point multi-touch computer, so wont take advantage of the 10 point windows 8 multi-touch.  The Windows 8 drivers work for most of the components.  The one thing with the video is you will not get full screen touch capability, so it makes a 1/2 inch border around the viewable area.  The computer will use the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)  This is the only driver that will work.  AMD and Dell do not have newer drivers for Windows 8.

I changed the Hard drive to a SSD drive, and now it boots up in 12 seconds.  Great starter computer for Windows 8.  Multitasking is awesome.

9 Posts

January 4th, 2013 20:00

Thanks for the reply.  So when you say there is a border around the screen, a= re you talking about the actual display not filling up the full screen or th= at there is a dead spot for touch bordering the screen, but image still fill= s screen? And how much of a nuisance is it?

2 Posts

January 5th, 2013 08:00

What happens is that if you go to any resolution besides the recomended, the touch cannot calibrate and basically is useless.  When you change the resolution to the recomended 1920 x 1080 everything works, and is calibrated fine.  But you have a 1/2 inch black border not filling to the full screen. 

This is irritating at first because I want to use my whole screen.  But you get used to to it, and after you calibrate it, the touch  is accurate.  Because how big the monitor is, this doesnt distract from it at all.

The power of Windows 8 is the touch function and the Metro apps.  I didnt think that Metro was a big deal, but have since changed my mind. Think about an iPad on steroids.  I literally can jump from one app to another with no lag time, stopping a Netflix movie, enter in Quickbooks information, check my email, go back to watching the movie, going on Skype, checking the weather... all within 10 seconds.  It really brings multifunction to a new level. 

I am waiting for monitors that support Multi-touch.  When that is in place, Dual monitors with multi-touch and windows 8 is going to change productivity to a new level.

July 27th, 2013 22:00

what did you use for a touch driver? and where did you get it?

4 Posts

October 21st, 2013 20:00

Can either of you tell me where to calibrate the touch screen. I installed Windows 8 and like it, but the touch is off.

Thanks for any help!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 01:00

AMD and Dell do not have newer drivers for Windows 8.

AMD have a driver here.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2013 08:00

I used the beta driver listed from the link provided above. Install the complete software package from AMD. Go to start all programs and open AMD Vision Engine Control Center App. Go to My Digital Flat Panels and select scaling options. Move the slider to Overscan 0%.. Next open your control panel and go to Tablet PC Settings and Click on the Reset Button.  ....Viola!

2 Posts

December 9th, 2013 09:00

I am also finding on some of my 2305's that the Tablet pc settings do not have to be reset. I guess it depends on whether someone previously tried to calibrate the machines. We use a bunch of these in a classroom and recently upgraded to Windows 8. On most of them once the scalling was adjusted as per my previous post, the touchscreen calibrations was normal. Prior to starting this the Screen Resolution must be set for 1920 x 1080. The black border will disappear as you move the slider towards Overscan.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 16:00

I just went through the same thing installing Windows 8.1 on my Inspiron 2305 and everything works great except the touchscreen is not functional. I noticed under the device manager that underneath monitor it's using a Generic Pnp Monitor driver. Is there a specific one I should be using so that the touchscreen should function?

2 Posts

October 10th, 2015 08:00

Check out https://community.amd.com/thread/184967 to fix the black border issue once a Dell Inspiron 2305 with the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4200 is upgraded to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.  Zeroing out the 1920x1080 registry keys works like a champ!  I had this issue after upgrading to Windows 10 and I'm now back to full HD with no black border.

No Events found!