Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2013 21:00

Windows 8 opinion

I currently have 3 Dell computers: a desktop and a laptop both running Windows 7 and a new Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition running Windows 8.   Without a doubt, I would avoid buying another Windows 8 computer.  Windows 8 has a high learning curve.  On top of that, it isn't anywhere near as efficient as Windows 7 - it takes a lot more mouse clicks to do the same thing on 8 as it does on 7.  Search, for example.  On Windows 7, you click the start button and start typing the name of the file or application that you want and a list immediately appears.  On Windows 8 you have to first find  "Search" (there is no start button).  Once you have found search, you have to decide what you want to search (file, app, setting, etc.)  If you pick wrong, what you want won't come up.   

I wanted to find backup and restore on the Windows 8 machine. Well, Microsoft didn't discontinue "Backup and Restore" - they just hid it.  Now they call it "Windows 7 File Recovery" (but its the same thing).  If you search for "Windows 7 File Recovery" under "Apps" nothing comes up.  However, if you search for it under "Settings" it does.  Seems to me, its more of an App that a setting.  Point is, if you were searching with Windows 7 you wouldn't have to choose which category to search.,

The tiles on Windows 8 might look slick - but if I want social media and a fancy interface I will use my phone.  I use a computer to actually do things, like edit photos and other types of productivity programs.  Windows 8 is NOT designed for less labor intensive productivity.  Its all about what looks slick - not about what works best.  Also beware compatability issues.

CNET just started a new thread surveying Windows 8 users about their experience, and the response has been overwhelmingly negative.  The only people who REALLY like it are the 3rd party techies who are making a lot of money switching people's computers to Windows 7. 

So I really don't have a question - I just wanted to voice my disappointment.  I really wanted to like Windows 8, but have been very disappointed.  Buyer beware.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 13th, 2013 02:00

I agree and recommend you to install the free ClassicShell. this will allow you to get a Start Menu and to make it look like Windows 7: http://classicshell.net/

Can you post a link to the CNET thread that you are talking about? Is it this one here?

March 13th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the tip on the ClassicShell.  I will check it out.  Here is the link to the CNET survey about Windows 8 user satisfaction:

http://news.cnet.com/8618-10805_3-57573370.html?assetTypeId=12&messageId=13741450&tag=nl.e497&s_cid=e497&ttag=e497

No Events found!