This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 5th, 2013 11:00

XPS 17 can't open the BIOS

Hi everybody,

I bought the Dell XPS 17 (L702x) a few years ago. Now I want to open the BIOS in order to install a new OS. The problem is that I can't open it. I've tried several times and keys. Do you know a solution for my problem?

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

June 5th, 2013 12:00

Hi honzi97,

It appears that the system is not completing POST. Try releasing the residual charge from the system and check if you are able to boot to BIOS Setup. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the battery and AC Adapter.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter.
  • Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F2' key to enter the 'BIOS Setup'.

If the issue still persist, run diagnostics to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

If the diagnostics test displays no error, try booting to BIOS Setup from Boot Menu. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'BIOS Setup' or 'System Setup' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • Check if the BIOS Setup appears.

Just wondering if there were any issue that led you to reinstall operating system, if yes, please share them.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I already tried updating the BIOS. The problems are still there. I wasn't able to run the diagnostics because I can't start the Boot Menu

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

This doesn't work for me. I tried to boot to BIOS setup as you said, but the system started without going into the BIOS. The Boot Menu doesn't start as well. I really don't know how to fix this. I want to install Ubuntu instead of Windows 8.

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

Hi honzi97,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please share if you were able to run diagnostics, if yes, what was the end result. Also, is the keyboard responding properly when you are using Windows 8?

Please update the BIOS of the system from the link http://dell.to/11lf6y7. Try accessing the BIOS after updating it.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Please reply with the results.

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2013 09:00

Hi honzi97,

Thank you for sharing the results. Please share if the keyboard is functional while you are using Windows 8. Also, check if the Dell Logo appears when you restart the system. Try using an external keyboard to boot to BIOS. Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F2' key to enter the 'BIOS Setup'.

Please reply if you have any questions.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 6th, 2013 11:00

The keyboard is functional while I'm using Windows 8 and the DELL Logo appears when I start the system. I've tried using an external keyboard and tapped as fast as possible. Nothing worked for me, I'm really desperate. I want to install a new OS, I'm so tired of using Windows. I tried to access the BIOS from Windows, but I upgraded Windows 7 and because of that I can't access the UEFI Secure Boot setup. I really don't know what to do.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 7th, 2013 11:00

Thank you, I'm gonna try to remove the Hard Disk and then let you know if it worked

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I'm gonna try that later. What is the standard boot order on the Dell XPS 17?

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

Hi honzi97,

Check the below image for the standard boot order for Dell XPS L702X:

Keep me posted with the progress. Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

Hi honzi97,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please remove the hard drive from the system and then try to boot to BIOS. You may refer to the Service Manual for instruction on removing the hardware components. Please follow the safety guidelines before removing the components.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 7th, 2013 12:00

I removed the Hard Disk and guess what? It works! Thank you, you're the best. Now I'm gonna install Linux. Thank you very much!

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

June 7th, 2013 12:00

Hi honzi97,

Glad I was able to help and the issue is resolved. Do reach out to us if you need any assistance in future.

November 23rd, 2019 01:00

I have same prob. My diagnostics don’t work either.

No Events found!