Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2012 12:00

XPS One 27 won't boot after BIOS update

After updating the BIOS to A09 Windows 8 won't boot anymore.

The BSOD reports an issue with winload.efi and error code 0XC0000001.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 26th, 2012 17:00

Check the SATA Mode in BIOS Setup (reboot and press F2). Change it to AHCI if it's set to ATA. See page 160, here. Be sure to save the change before exiting setup.

7 Posts

December 26th, 2012 21:00

It is set to AHCI, however, the problem persists.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 27th, 2012 11:00

Sorry that didn't help...

Look at Boot Mode in BIOS setup and try changing it to one of the other options, if any are available.  

Others have had similar problems on this model so you might search these forums to see if a specific fix has been posted.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 27th, 2012 13:00

Follow up...

If you find an option for "Secure Boot", possibly under Boot Mode in BIOS Setup, set it to DISABLED, save the change and see if it boots now.

7 Posts

December 27th, 2012 21:00

After an almost two hours phone call with DELL (during which they very openly admitted that they have very little to no knowledge regarding Windows 8) it became obvious that DELL would be unable to provide any advice to fix this issue.

UPS will pick up the PC next week and DELL will refund the entire Euros 1.960 that I paid.

A brief but nevertheless very unpleasant one time experience as a DELL customer.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 28th, 2012 09:00

Verry sorry to hear that....

It's possible the BIOS update destroyed the motherboard. Won't they send you another system with the latest version of BIOS already installed?

If you want to give it one more go, try clearing BIOS settings by the procedure on page 164 of the manual, and then set SATA mode to AHCI.

Hope you find another system that meets your expectations.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 14:00

I had the same problem.  My 2 hour old machine would not boot in to windows after I updated from A06 to A09.  I ended up getting it working by entering the bios, and selecting defaults (F9 from initial bios screen, then F10 save).  This allowed me to boot back in to windows 8.  Hope this helps :-)

1 Message

January 3rd, 2013 20:00

This worked for me. Thank you so much, I almost died, that was scary. (New BSOD, however is pretty cool looking)

1 Message

January 6th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the info. I had the same problem but thanks to you I did not waste hours trying to get Dell to sort it out. What a disgrace!

2 Posts

January 7th, 2013 07:00

Newbie here. What were the actual steps? Thx in advance.

1 Message

January 7th, 2013 13:00

Thank you for this.

I thought I lost my xps again.

But now it works fine.

Kind regards, Arthur

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 7th, 2013 13:00

Issue: After applying latest BIOS update, system is stuck in Advance Options screen

Resolution:

* Power on the system

* Press F2 to enter BIOS setup menu

* Go to the Advanced page

* Choose Onboard Device Configuration

* Enter SATA Mode to change the mode from AHCI to RAID

* Press F10 Save and Exit

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 7th, 2013 18:00

BTW: The latest update for BIOS on the XPS 2710 (version A09; released 20-Dec'12) fixes this problem so future BIOS updates keep the SATA Mode setting that existed before the flash update. So if it's set to RAID now, it won't change to AHCI if you flash to A09 or to some newer version, if any version is ever released beyond A09.

NOTES:

1. You need to have BIOS A08 running before you update to A09. If you update from A06 directly to A09, you'll likely brick the motherboard.
  2. There's no going back. If you don't like A09, you can't flash back to A08, or to any earlier version of BIOS.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2013 00:00

I updated from A06 directly to A09 (on advice from Dells support center software) and it did not brick my motherboard.  I just had to load default settings(F9) to get my PC to boot again.  I didn't touch anything else in the bios.  It's nice to hear that I can update again after A09 without having to alter settings in the bios.

1 Message

January 8th, 2013 08:00

Just updated from A06 to A09 because of the automatic dell support center.  Same results - boot to the troubleshooting system.  Fixed by following the advice here.  After loading defaults into the bios and saving, booted fine into Windows 8.  Big Dell screw up.

No Events found!