Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 17th, 2004 10:00

16 Bit Windows Subsystem Error !! PLEASE HELP !!

Can anyone help with the following error ? 

"C;WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOECEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close" to
terminate the application."

I am trying to re-install the "Sonic RecordNow 6.5" software that came with my Dell computer from the disc provided by Dell and as soon as I insert the disc that error pops up.

Very, very frustrated. : smileymad:

Mrmars

Message Edited by mrmars on 11-17-2004 08:23 AM

16 Posts

November 17th, 2004 14:00

That solution is useless for the everyday computer novice including myself. I tried it twice and it didn't work. I found the link below to be very useful (according to all the posts) although I have not yet tried it myself. I'm going to try when I get home.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=tips&Number=92053&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=1&vc=1

Mrmars

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

November 17th, 2004 14:00

mrmars,

Corrective procedure is here.

16 Posts

November 17th, 2004 15:00

I wasn't trying to come across as ungrateful. Its just that after days of emailing back and forth with Dell directly I still have no solution. I am appreciative of any advice, this problem is just frustrating and I haven't gotten any solid solution from Dell. Only after searching the web for a solution was I able find what appears to be a solution from the private sector.

I guess I better avoid and steps the rest of the day.

Mrmars

516 Posts

WOW that is cold:smileysurprised:. Not even a thank you for providing information even if they are not confident in the use of it they could have given you that Denny. Makes you wish that you could help them some more :smileyhappy: you know like help them fall down a flight of stairs maybe.:smileyvery-happy:

16 Posts

Thanks, that utility appears to be similar to the one I found in the previous link I posted. I will try it tonight on my home computer which is where the problem occured.

Mrmars

2K Posts

A small program that executes the suggestion on the page Denny linked to can be found here. Just download and run XP_Fix.exe

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

November 17th, 2004 16:00

ddeerrff,

Good find. I snagged it for the Delltalk Tweekz site since the problem has come up so frequently recently.

16 Posts

November 17th, 2004 17:00

These utilities (if they work) are one of the best kept secrets I've come across.

Mrmars

Computers. Can't live with em'. Can't live without em' !

2K Posts

November 17th, 2004 18:00

Someone else posted it here on the DCF a month or so back, so I can't take credit for the find.

It does seem to have become a fairly common problem. I wonder if some new malware (or even a misbehaving legitimate app) out there is deleting/corrupting these files.

16 Posts

November 18th, 2004 09:00

PROBLEM SOLVED !

Thanks to everyone who helped. Especially ddeerrff & Denny.

Mrmars

Message Edited by mrmars on 11-18-2004 06:43 AM

No Events found!