Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2004 02:00

Add/Remove "Dell ResourceCD"

I have an entry in my Add/Remove programs listing for "Dell ResouceCD". What is it, and what do I lose if I uninstall it?

Also, I already uninstalled 'Dell installed programs backup' (may not be the exact title). What exactly was that and was it a bad idea to uninstall?

18.8K Posts

July 15th, 2004 04:00

ddeerrff,

I have that entry in Add/Remove as well and I have no idea what it does. I checked out the available information in the registry and found it listed at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall at {D78653C3-A8FF-415F-92E6-D774E634FF2D}. That corresponds to a folder under C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information. Opening that folder I found a Setup.exe file. Executed that and got to a dialog which would allow me to Modify, Repair, or Uninstall existing components. I selected Modify and was told there were no components installed. Since I never received a CD called Dell Resource CD, I have no idea what the entry is supposed to do or where it came from.

1.3K Posts

July 15th, 2004 07:00

i believe it is where, when you reformat, and then you "install" the dell "drivers and utilities" resource cd so as to install the chipset drivers etc..

Message Edited by redwolfe_98 on 07-15-2004 04:02 AM

3K Posts

July 15th, 2004 10:00

The Resource CD entry represents the automated process for reinstalling Drivers and Utilities that's described in the Reinstall Guides for some systems, although it's actually the "Drivers and Utilities" CD that is involved on my Dim4550.  Very little is actually installed by it, other than an overlay which identifies the specific hardware you have installed from a list of possible components for similar systems.

See the top of this page:

18.8K Posts

July 15th, 2004 15:00

flooby,

Excellent--I do have a Drivers and Utilities CD.

2K Posts

July 15th, 2004 16:00

Thanks for the replied guys.

So this is basically a chipset driver installation program? Is this equivalent to the chipset driver installer that is required if you wanted to install the Intel Application Accelerator, here?

How about the other one which I already deleted, the 'Dell installed programs backup'?

1.3K Posts

July 15th, 2004 17:00

i believe the "dell resource cd" entry in add/remove is just the interface for using the dell "drivers and utilities" resource cd.. if you uninstall it,  the next time you use the drivers and utilities resource cd, it will simply reinstall the interface for using the cd..

2K Posts

July 15th, 2004 18:00

Thanks Flooby.

3K Posts

July 15th, 2004 18:00

@ddeerrff wrote:

So this is basically a chipset driver installation program?
How about the other one which I already deleted, the 'Dell installed programs backup'?

It's an installation interface for all the OEM drivers and utilities.  An example of how it looks while in use can be seen here.  The overlay determines which components you have installed, and, when the "Topic" pulldown window on the left shows "Drivers," allows you to select the desired component from the possible choices for that particular system, and follow the instructions within the application to install the correct drivers according to the reinstallation guide.  (The Chipset Drivers just happened to be at the top of the list of drivers in my previous link - possibly because they're supposed to be installed first.)  It's similar to the online installation guides, although it allows you to identify which of the multiple possibilities for components are present on your particular system.

As for "Dell installed programs backups," that was blasted from my drive shortly after receipt, so I can't tell you what that does.  Apparently nothing important, though, as I haven't missed it. 

No Events found!