Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2008 01:00

BSOD when trying to load Windows xp on Dell Deminsion 9150 after an auto update

My computer was in the process of performing an automatic update when the electricity went out and I lost power.  I have a Dell Dimension 9150 and running Windows XP SP2 (with all the latest updates). Now Windows XP won't boot up (Safe Mode, Last Known Working Configuration, etc) and would stop at loading the mup.sys. After many of hours, of trying to get last known, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Safe Mode with Networking, I could not get past the system trying to load this mup.sys. I booted from the original Windows XP CD and tried to repair Windows.

Now I get the blue screen of death with the error:

*** STOP 0x0000007E(0XC0000005,0XF748E0BF,0XF78DA208,0XF78D9F08)
*** PCI.SYS – addressF748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

I’ve tried removing every external peripheral and still can’t get past this mess. I even re-flashed the BIOS. I’ve read many tech notes to rename the mup.sys file, and go into the Repair or Recovery mode but no success.  I can’t boot from hard drive because it is a SATA drive but I can run the Dell Diagnostics and everything passes. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 16th, 2008 22:00

Did you actually do the Repair Reinstall from the XP CD?  Does that CD have XP, SP1 or SP2 on it?

If the CD had XP or SP1, then that's part of the problem.  

And read this.

Ron 

8 Posts

June 17th, 2008 10:00

I don't get a chance to get to that screen. While the loading of files, I get the second BSOD with the PCI message.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 17th, 2008 15:00

What version of XP is on the CD? XP, SP1 or SP2?

If it's not SP2, you need to get a CD with SP2.

Ron 

8 Posts

June 17th, 2008 22:00

I was using a Dell XP Professional from another Dell computer that I have - this was before Dell stopped sending out the CDs when you purchased their computer.  I got lucky and found on the Dell site how to order a set of CDs used to build my computer.  I received the CDs (with SP2) today and I finally get the Repair option.  It has been running for about an hour now.  I have on the top of the screen: Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console. The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery funcionality.  Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Should it take this long to repair the computer and what should I see on the screen? 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 18th, 2008 15:00

You don't want Recovery Console. And, besides, it's just sitting there waiting for you to tell it what to do. ;)

Do this:

At c: prompt, type in:

chkdsk c: /p /r

press Enter

(go take a nice long nap)

When it's done, reboot from XP CD again.

This time, press Enter at first screen, do NOT press R at first screen.

XP user license should appear

Accept the license

Select your installation of XP on next screen (should only be one)

Press R on next screen for Repair/Reinstall 

When it's done, get antiviral software and firewall running. Then go directly to MS update site and download SP3 (all 360 MB of it).

Ron 

8 Posts

June 24th, 2008 16:00

I spent many days letting the chkdsk run but without any success.  I ran the diags and the hard drive said it passed.  Not having any luck and being without a computer for almost a week, I finally purchased a new sata drive and took out the "bad" drive.  I was able to use the CDs that Dell sent me to boot up and install the OS.

I can use the computer now and I've rebooted many times without any errors.  Is there any way to change the drive to a "slave" and get the files off the "bad" drive?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 24th, 2008 17:00

Glad the new drive got your running again!

If the original drive is SATA, power off and connect it to SATA1 on the motherboard (the boot hard drive should be on SATA0). Then run BIOS setup and enable SATA1, save the change and reboot. Your system should recognize the old drive and allow you to retrieve your files, assuming the file system isn't totally corrupt.

BTW: don't forget that you need to install all the Microsoft updates on the new drive asap. ;)

Ron 

No Events found!