Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2010 02:00

BootMgr is Missing in Dell Inspiron 14 / Windows 7

I have recently bought an Inspiron 14 x64 based Laptop with Windows 7 64 bit OS (OEM) and receive this msg "BootMgr is Missing." 

1. It was fine at a start, but I allot my partition badly C:drive is only 30GB and Logical drives is 182GB, so I wanted an increase of C:

2. Thru  a web forum I learn about "Partition Wizard Home Edition" downloaded it and use it to come up with a better partition. It was an easy success, quickly my C:drive increased with my desired size. But it was just a short relief for I noticed that my IE 8, YM, Windows Media Player, Mc Afee Security Center and others are not running properly or doesn't run anymore.

3. I resorted to a RESET to Factory Settings thru a DELL Local Back-up that comes with my unit. It did pretty good. All was just like the way it was. (I dont have to worry about my files coz I have an external modem to transfer everything)

4. Normal function is there for an hour, but to my curiosity I check on disk management and found out RECOVERY DRIVE is the one Active compared to C:Drive before.  I then Mark C:Drive as ACTIVE without knowing my OS doesn't seat there anymore (just I thought).

5. When I restart, there I got BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL.

6. And my problem is still not resolved, I tried to use a Repair Disk which I burned earlier but it did not work as well even if I choose boot from CD/DVD on boot options.

7. What could be my best solution? My package did not come with a Windows 7 DVD Re-installation Disk. My room mate has an Inspiron 1545 with Re-installation Disk. Can I use that to reboot? I am afraid it might add up another problem because it is from a different model and configuration.

Pls. extend your help for me to be able to reboot and use my new laptop once again. Can I download the Reinstallation Disk for my Inspiron 14 so I can have it finally? I have the service tag and necessary product code that comes with it.

1 Message

July 20th, 2011 06:00

I have the same issue, and stupidly I did the same change, I can not boot from CD, I already tried, the same message appears, any suggestions?

17 Posts

March 6th, 2016 12:00

“Bootmgr Is Missing”- Solution’s Encyclopedia

Every morning I get up and look to my phone and it’s not possible, I won’t get a single mail about people asking me for getting this problem in their PC’s. So, I finally decided to write a complete article about it.

And in this article I’m gonna tell you everything about this error like what it is, why it’s happening to your computer and mostly, how to fix it?, I know it’s a tricky problem but I’ll do my best to make everything Clear To You!! And Sorry for making it little bit long but you can’t find any working solution beside those what I’ve written below. Yeah!! Thanks me later.

Let’s start with:

What Is BOOTMGR (Windows Boot Manager) By The Way?

Windows Boot Manager or I say BOOTMGR whatever it calls, it’s a windows boot manager which is normally located in your computer’s operating system boot volume (Mainly C:\ drive).

The main work of this Bootmgr is to control boot volume which helps to start winload.exe when a computers starts to load a pre-installed windows.

If you don’t get it then, let’s split this word. BOOT+MGR, In a technical language Boot means startup and you know what manager is, that means it’s your computer’s process who’s fully responsible for starting your computer’s operating system.

Bootmgr is only located in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 and Window Vista, you can’t find this bootmgr file in the previous version of Windows OS like Windows XP, but that doesn’t prove XP won’t have their  own boot managing department. Windows XP does having its own boot manager which is named differently and called NTLDR.

This error can be shown as:

“BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart”

BOOTMGR is missing

Press any key to restart

Click to see the full solution >>> http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-error-on-windows-desktop-or-laptop/

• 

17K Posts

January 19th, 2010 06:00

DCAPT,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

• Insert your Windows 7 DVD into your optical drive(DVD drive) and restart the system.
  • Boot using this DVD by pressing any key when windows asks "Press any key to continue..".
  • Select your language in the first screen and click "Next".
  • In this Window, select the option named "Repair your computer".
  • This tool will search for the installation directory for a minute.Once it finished, click "Next" once again.
  • Under Recovery Tool, choose the option named "Startup repair". Now,Windows will try to repair your startup problem and gives a message to restart your system.
  • Restart your system to finish the process.

1 Message

September 11th, 2011 15:00

i also can't boot from CD. if i put in the "drivers and utilities" cd from dell, i don't get the window, where i'd have to select "repair your computer". it only can be chosen between

1 - run the 32 bit dell diagnostics (which is strange, because i have a 64-bit processor)

Q - quit without any action (Return to DOS)

when i press 1, i can do several tests, but none of them helps me, i can't repair my computer and my dell inspiron won't boot.

it should also be said, that i caused this problem by doing a local data safe and afterwards deleting everything by accident. i'm not very talented in computer stuff, but every blog i read starts with "insert your dell cd and a window pops up -> click 'repair your computer' " . do i have to put a direct order in DOS like "reboot/something" or anything else?? i'm very effed up.. please help!

15 Posts

September 20th, 2011 03:00

Hi,

The automatic startup repair option will work in most cases and in case if it did not work out quite well, then the users can try to manually fix the BootMgr using related options in the CMD window.

Selecting the command prompt options from the system recovery options and inputting the ‘bootrec/rebuildbcd’ in the CMD window without the quotations will rebuild the corrupt or missing BootMgr in your Dell laptop.

Doing so can enable the users to fix up all issues with the BootMgr in your computer and startup the system normally without any errors.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

September 20th, 2011 12:00

i also can't boot from CD. if i put in the "drivers and utilities" cd from dell, i don't get the window, where i'd have to select "repair your computer". it only can be chosen between

1 - run the 32 bit dell diagnostics (which is strange, because i have a 64-bit processor)

Q - quit without any action (Return to DOS)

when i press 1, i can do several tests, but none of them helps me, i can't repair my computer and my dell inspiron won't boot.

it should also be said, that i caused this problem by doing a local data safe and afterwards deleting everything by accident. i'm not very talented in computer stuff, but every blog i read starts with "insert your dell cd and a window pops up -> click 'repair your computer' " . do i have to put a direct order in DOS like "reboot/something" or anything else?? i'm very effed up.. please help!

Hi, Your not supposed to put in your drivers cd, you are supposed to put in your Operating System CD/DVD.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

September 20th, 2011 12:00

I have the same issue, and stupidly I did the same change, I can not boot from CD, I already tried, the same message appears, any suggestions?

Use your Win 7 OS CD/DVD.

1 Message

January 19th, 2012 09:00

I am also having this issue with my Inspiron 1764, I was doing a Dell Factory Image Restore and must have took a bad turn at some point. When I turn my laptop on it says "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart", when just brings me back to this screen. I have the I have the operating disk that came with is but I can't seem to get that to open either since I can't get past this screen.

So I guess to help you out, the disk doesn't work to fix this problem either.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 19th, 2012 13:00

I am also having this issue with my Inspiron 1764, I was doing a Dell Factory Image Restore and must have took a bad turn at some point. When I turn my laptop on it says "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart", when just brings me back to this screen. I have the I have the operating disk that came with is but I can't seem to get that to open either since I can't get past this screen.

So I guess to help you out, the disk doesn't work to fix this problem either.

You need to boot from the Windows 7 DVD. Either change the boot order in BIOS, or hit F12 and select to boot from DVD drive.

1 Message

January 25th, 2012 08:00

Hi there

Even i got the same issue.. worst thing is i do not have my vista os dvd.

How to troubleshoot this problem... Can anyone help.

"Bootmgr Mising press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

Thanks

Praveen

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 25th, 2012 09:00

You can download the Vista DVD below, borrow one from a friend, buy one on eBay, or order a replacement from Dell.

en.community.dell.com/.../3317.aspx

1 Message

August 13th, 2012 17:00

a desktop is required,  take the hard drive out of the laptop   install it into a desk top reformatt  install the new os  and replace the micro drive backinto the laptop

2 Posts

December 31st, 2012 10:00

Ich besitze den Dell Laptop Modell INSPIRON 1564 mit Modell No. 1564-7282, Dell Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Kurzfassung zum Problem: Das Bootlaufwerk C: ist inaktiv gestellt und Booten von außen klappt nicht

Mit der Datenträgerverwaltung von Windows 7 (die untypisches Verhalten zeigte) habe ich versucht, die Partition von C: zu vergrößern. Dazu habe ich alle Daten aus Partition D: extern gesichert und aus D: zwei neue Partitionen gemacht. Die ganz rechte nannte ich D:, die mittlere sollte nun der Vergrößerung von C: dienen.

C: stand links. Nun wollte ich C: vergrößern, so wie es bei freiem Platz üblicherweise funktioniert. Aber "Vergrößern" war im Menu nur grau hinterlegt. Ich bemerkte, dass bei C: der Knopf zum Aktivieren des Laufwerks fürs Booten auf inaktiv stand. Es gelang mir nicht, das Laufwerk C: auf aktiv zu stellen. Promt passierte, was zu erwarten war: Das Gerät bootet nicht mehr.

Beim Neustart erhielt ich immer nur die Meldung BOOTMGR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL

Nun ist aber auch das Booten von extern nicht gelungen. Ich wollte über das CD-Laufwerk booten und konfigurierte dazu das BIOS unter BOOT. Eine Suchreihenfolge ist bei der vorliegenden BIOS-Version PhoenixBios Version A13 nicht vorgesehen. Statt dessen setzt das System das BIOS zurück auf das Festplattenlaufwerk, falls ein Booten von extern nicht klappt. Deshalb muss man das BIOS für jeden Versuch neu einstellen. Es ist mit nicht gelungen, mit der Original-CD, die für Windows 7 mitgeliefert war, zu booten. Ich vermute, dass anfangs spezielle Tasten gedrückt werden müssen, die ich nicht kenne.

2 Posts

December 31st, 2012 11:00

Sorry, it seems that I have postet my problem at the wrong place. My Inspirion 1564 does not boot any more because C: was set inactive. However booting from outside is also not possible whatever I do at the BIOS settings.  Winfrid

1 Message

September 16th, 2014 17:00

I do not have a recovery disk. When I start my lap top it goes to dell screen I get the F2 and F12 option then it says BOOTMGR missing then nothing else.

No Events found!