Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2011 10:00

Can I remove install.wim or c:\windows\installer?

I purchased a new Dell Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have configured the system and loaded all my user files from the old system.  I have the Windows 7 installation disc and I have backed the system up with Acronis.

Checking the space usage there is a 3.3 GB install.wim in the directory c:\Apps\osmedia\sources.  I did a search and this appears to be basically the installation disc.    Can the file or that directory be deleted? 

Also there is a directory taking up 3.4 GB called c:\Windows\Installer.  Can this be removed?  After a search I'm thinking that I can't

TIA

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 29th, 2011 11:00

These are software questions, not hardware issues.  I'm moving this to the software section.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 29th, 2011 12:00

Looking at two systems here, I don't have a C:\Apps\ folder at all, so I can't see how it would affect anything to remove it (although I'm not sure how it even got there).  However, it may have been placed there by Dell for some other reason - since they don't automatically give you a reinstall disk anymore, having the original install.wim may be useful for other things.

I  have C:\Windows\Installer\ on both, and it would appear to be a repository for installed program files, specifically the original installation file.

blogs.msdn.com/.../the-patch-cache-and-freeing-space.aspx

I might assume you have a new SSD that you are trying to pare down the size of your partition?  

4 Posts

December 29th, 2011 13:00

I'm offsite at the moment and I can't remember if the C:\Apps directory was hidden or not.  Would you mind checking a couple of things.  One is doing a search for *.WIM on your C: drive and the other is type in c:\Apps in an Explorer window to see if it may be hidden on your system?

Thanks...

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 29th, 2011 15:00

No, I got nothing when typing in C:\Apps (it was required to type in C:\Windows\Installer too, as it is not listed in the directory, but C:\Apps could not be found).  

I suspect this is specific to a Dell factory install.  My installs have all been deployments based on a fresh install image.

Searching C:\ for WIM files I get three instances of FirstUXRes.WIM ... on one PC but not the other.  That WIM is on a new install (no updates yet) and is in the \Software Distribution\Download\, \System32\oobe, and \winsxs folders.  I don't have time to mount it to see what's in it.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2011 17:00

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts...  

BTW, I don't have an SSD.  I just want to minimize the amount of stuff when I do system backups.  I think I'll do a full backup and then try deleting the directory with WIM.  If it dies, I'll restore it back...

Thanks again...

9 Posts

June 5th, 2015 08:00

This directory is used by the application "Dell Backup and Recovery Manager"

In menu "Dell Recovery Tools"
Select "OS and Media Applications"
Click on "Create OS or application media backup"
"Create Media" button becomes disabled if directory C:\Apps is renamed.
Media for "Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 ENG Professional" can only be created once. Please keep the copy you are creating in a safe place.
No Events found!