Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2010 15:00

Can't get back desktop as delivered from Dell

I just purchased a Dell desktop with Win 7 Home premium.  It came with a beautiful fancy desktop in Win 7 with a pinned task bar in addition tot he normal task bar.  It was charcoal with a great new look.  After a few days the machine suddenly shut down.  I have not idea why.  When I rebooted the machine would not longer accept the password so could not go beyond the startup. Apparently the hard shut down corrupted the password file.  I had to reinstall Win 7 from the Dell Reinstall disk as a parallel install.  It runs fine now, after installing a new user, but I can't get or find the originally installed (as delivered from Dell) desktop.  Can anyone tell me what desktop Dell delivers with the Win 7 install and how to get it back? No one at Dell will even discuss this with me without paying the $129 fee to talk about software, even though the problem came from a hardware shutdown.  Can anyone tell me to whom I can raise hell?

4.6K Posts

January 18th, 2010 08:00

had to reinstall Win 7 from the Dell Reinstall disk as a parallel install.

What do you mean by that?  You've still got the OS as installed by Dell, and now also have your own installation as well?

What partition (/drive) did you install it too?

When I rebooted the machine would not longer accept the password so could not go beyond the startup.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?  Assuming you can, try a System Restore to the last date/time the system was running properly.

It came with a beautiful fancy desktop in Win 7 with a pinned task bar in addition tot he normal task bar.

You're referring to the Dell Dock :emotion-5:

Can anyone tell me to whom I can raise hell?

No need.  You can use the 'Recovery' partition to restore the desktop to exactly how it was when you received it from Dell.

See the following article/guide for how to do it:  Windows 7 PC Restore :emotion-21:

No Events found!