Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2009 00:00

Cannot Retore from corrupt Windows

Hi All,

This is my first post so bare with me.

I have an Inspiron 6000 running WinXP that was brought to me suffering from boot issues. I first of all removed the hard drive and made a clone of it on my desktop in order to A) Recover Data and B) Restore the image if something went wrong.

The initial issue was that the Windows splash screen would not display after the "www.dell.com" recovery screen and it would freeze early in the boot process when attempting to use safe mode. I rebuilt the MBR and boot sector using my XP CD to no avail. I thus booted up a live cd on the dell and ran a few HDD tests to determine if it was a failing HDD, It passed everthing. This lead me to belive it was simple data corruption in the windows install. I consulted my client and they said that I could use the recovery function.

I thus reboot the machine and press "Ctrl+F11" and the laptop returns "Cannot Restore". This to me is a first. I did a little research and learnt that the fixmbr and fixboot commands can cause the restore function to malfunction so I restored the HDD image from my desktop back onto the HDD.

I pressed "Ctrl+F11" again... but the same message came up again... only this time when I did it a second time it told me that there were no bootable devices (or something along those lines).

Question: Does anyone know of a way I can either A) Fix the restore partition OR B) Access the restore partion on my desktop and burn it to DVD???

Thank you in advance,

Richard

2 Posts

September 19th, 2009 07:00

So after many more hours of research and many late nights I finally solved it.

The problem was that the Partition Table had been modified (by what I don't know) to such an extent that the restore command could no longer find the Restore Partition.

SOLUTION : To solve the issue I had to download DSRFIX from "www.goodells.net" and follow the guide there. The Hard Disk was still i sufficiently good shape that it was simply a matter of fixing the Partition Table and then rebooting into Restore mode which worked flawlessly.

I hope that this will help others.

Thanks,

Richard

No Events found!