Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2005 01:00

Computer running loud and fast

Whenever I do a disk cleanup, or a virus scan my computer sounds like an airplane taking off and lasts this way for awhile after these functions are complete. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

Thank,
TG

2.2K Posts

May 17th, 2005 11:00

Those are semi-intensive tasks, and the fan control does it's best to prevent elevated temperatures. Typical operating temperatures and fan control algorythms vary by model and BIOS, and sometimes a third-party utility is used to monitor and control system temperatures, but the fan(s) running during those processed is not abnormal.

A noisy fan or inadequate cooling might be of some concern. If the fan is running hard and keeping the system cool, that's good. If the fan is running hard but not keeping the system temps within normal operating levels, that's bad. Only some temperature monitoring software will report the difference. I8kFanGUI works good on some Dell notebooks, but I don't know what else is available. Is this a new symptom, or a new system? Post some info on your system and others may know of an appropriate temp monitoring/control utility.

GM
No Events found!