Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2009 08:00

DELL E 1705 wont let me reinstall xp media

My Dell E 1705   aka 9400   keeps showing we have windows xp professional and wont let me reintalll windows xp media which is my operating system on my laptop.

When I choose to let it install xo prof  on cd it shows lots of errors of files not being installed.  How could we have XP PRO on a XP MEDIA dell cd???

I have tried  the install cd but it wont allow me to delete partition to get a clean install .   Any ideas???

20 Posts

May 11th, 2009 09:00

Well if your getting file errors here , check the disk for scratches or smudges and clean it anyways from center out not in circles, then try again if it still happens you may need a replacement disk , and XP Media Center Edition is XP Professional with extra stuff but during the the install it is normal for it to say professional. And for the replacement disk you would just contact the support line and ask for one and they should be able to get you one out as long as your within warranty.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2009 20:00

I guess Ill have to go purchase a new hard drive to eliminate  whatever caused XP PRO to show it is installed since my original  install disk is just XP Media

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 15th, 2009 04:00

Have you tried posting your question on the Microsoft Operating System Board?

(This is the Laptop Audio Board.)

No Events found!