Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2008 00:00

Dell 1501 AMD64 AthlonX2 Vista Laptop Issues

Hello, I purchased my laptop in feb 2008. It has a 3 year return to depot warranty. My question is. I hate vista. Can I request a downgrade to Windows XP. Vista is terrible. I have the laptop lock up 3 times, Froze, wouldn't shut down, sound glitches, media player crashes when playing movies and now wants to install a new hd audio driver that is not a correct one for this laptop. I have had it with vista. I have a desktop computer that runs xp media center that runs flawlessly. No issues. Who would I find out to ask about downgrading. I can even send the vista disk back that came with the laptop. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Barrie

3.6K Posts

May 6th, 2008 00:00

No you can not,once the PC ships with the OS installed,you can't get it changed.If you want to go to XP you will need to purchase a retail copy of it,or use a copy you all ready have.And once you change the OS you will lose software support from dell you will have to contact Microsoft if you have a problem.

If you could post a little more info maybe we can help?....

55 Posts

May 6th, 2008 20:00

I'm in sort of the same boat. I've been running Vista Home Premium on an Inspiron 1501 since near the beginning of the year and it's been a disaster. Too many bugs, it's like using an early beta. I've given up trying to make it work, much less run for more than a few hours without locking up and/or crashing. Anyway...

You will have to purchase a retail version of XP. The deadline is June 30 for retail packages as MS is determined to force Vista junk on everyone whether it works or not. I am not sure of the differences between XP Pro and Home (whether it's worth the difference in cost). I've posted a question in the XP forum asking about that, see if there have been any replies.

You will lose Dell software support but the hardware warranty support will be there regardless. Dell has no way to make Vista work reliably anyway, so you are not really losing much. IMHO, that's not Dell's fault.

Good luck on your upgrade to XP. If I get any more info, I'll post it here to share with you.

Message Edited by jgitz on 05-06-2008 04:56 PM
Message Edited by jgitz on 05-06-2008 04:58 PM

3.6K Posts

May 6th, 2008 20:00

Vista is not the problem,i have been running vista so long i would not go back to xp if they paid me.

The problem is not getting enough RAM when configuring with vista 3gb or 4gb will do.The peripherals are the next problem not being compatible with vista,and software same thing,not being compatible with vista.And lastly the GPU,or should i say not getting dedicated video for it,instead getting integrated graphics.

These are the problems not vista.

49 Posts

May 6th, 2008 21:00

Hilarious! These guys have nothing but problems with Vista but Poof! One sentence from you and the problems disappear. Perhaps they would have better luck if they just ran Vista and no applications.

One purpose of an operating system is to prevent applications from crashing the entire machine, not shutting down, etc. Vista seems to have no luck doing its job.

3.6K Posts

If people would learn to do there homework and  make sure all of there"as posted above"peripherals,software,and have plenty of ram when configuring a system with vista they will have no problems.

Sure vista has a few glitches but the problems are not the OS.

3.6K Posts

As i posted above vista is not the problem.

55 Posts

I'll try not to multi-task while writing this message, avoiding lots of changes as in my other message above!

There really are lots of problems related directly to Vista. All of my apps are Vista approved, I don't run silly old programs. My drivers came pre-installed and never come up with errors in the event logs. There are no GPU errors showing up either unless Vista is too lazy or buggy to record them in the logs. No Norton, no TrendMicro, none of the nasty apps.

If 2G of memory is not enough to run Vista, well, good grief! My desktop XP (Pro, Home? I have no idea it was installed so long ago) runs fine in 1/2 G, VISIBLY faster than Vista with 2G. No one should be required to have 3 - 4 G of memory just to run a PC OS! Even 2 G is too much.

Vista never shuts down, it has to have the battery pulled. It routinely crashes or locks up 2-3 times a day. It runs applications slower than an old hound dog. It takes a good ten minutes to boot up to the point where it's actually useable. Try it before then and you are risking a crash. I shut off Aero. Dell checked the machine out under warranty, no hardware errors were found (my first thought).

XP and Vista have pretty much the same user experience. No real upgrades there.  

These are all Vista problems. People stood up and defended Windows ME back in the day. That didn't make it a good OS. Vista's replacement has been fast-tracked just like NT eliminated ME. Just a few days ago, the NY Times (or USA Today?) had an article about how Ballmer's job may not be all that secure any more because of the "Vista fiasco" and the failed Yahoo buyout. 

I'm glad you love Vista, I don't wish problems on anyone! But your good experience puts you in a minority. When I, always a staunch supporter of MS, starts looking at, yuck, Apple, something is terribly wrong.

14.4K Posts

May 6th, 2008 22:00

@dgkpcon wrote:

If people would learn to do there homework and  make sure all of there"as posted above"peripherals,software,and have plenty of ram when configuring a system with vista they will have no problems.

Sure vista has a few glitches but the problems are not the OS.

Here Here..

I was a long time XP user..then i loaded Vista 64 in a dual boot to test...within 2 weeks i trashed XP and would not go back in a heart beat...If my laptop could support it it would have vista on it too..

49 Posts

May 8th, 2008 13:00

"peripherals,software,and have plenty of ram when configuring a system with vista they will have no problems."

This is just so naive. I don't have as many problems as those users above but major problems do still exist. As I already stated, my 2G of memory should be more than enough. I have only Vista-approved software (including Microsoft's very own Office 2007 that has problems), I have no complaints about peripherals. But the system still fails too often.

You conveniently glossed over my biggest point: The OS should be able to protect itself from bad application software. Vista just can't do this very well. Of course, as Steve Ballmer clearly stated a few weeks ago "Vista is still a work in progress." Eliminate the corporate-speak, this translates in real terms to "Vista is still a beta product."

May 8th, 2008 16:00

Hello,

I guess that I should clear a couple of things up.  This Laptop was purchased from Walmart. It was preconfigured. They had them on for 599.99. So Walmart ordered these units. I'm not sure who configured them for Walmart or if it was Dell themselves. They should of tested these systems better. This system was preloaded. It has 2 gb of ram. My point is they should stand behind their product especially if they are preconfiguring them themselves.

No Events found!