Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2012 05:00

Dell Precision 370

Here at work I have two of these units. both running XP Pro. The one unit that I primarily use, the motherboard died. So I needed to access data that is on the hard drive. So i figured that I could pull the hard drive from the dead PC and place it in the other PC and I should be able to boot fine. However this was not and is still not the case.

So far I have tried running the restore from the windows XP cd. I have done the repair. I have used chkdsk /p /r. But so far nothing will allow it to boot.

It gets as far as the XP logo the blue lines start going across and then a blue screen pops up and then disappears really quickly so I dont have time to read it and at that point the system reboots.

When in safe mode it starts running though the items it is loading then it gets to a file called mup.sys and then it reboots.

Oh I have also used fixboot and fixmbr. But still nothing seems to be working.

Am I doing something wrong? What else could be causing the issues? Dont want to do a clean install if I dont have to.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 13th, 2012 08:00

So, both are 370's?  Have you tried changing the onboard SATA mode to AHCI or ATA (basically switching from the current setting)?  The BSOD would be 0x7b, if that is the case ... on the F8 screen, you may have an option to 'disable restart on error', which will allow you more time to see the BSOD error.  If the first was set to AHCI, for example, and the second is set to ATA/Compatibility, then it will not boot ... vice versa will also not boot.

If you need to simply access the data, then you can hook it up as a secondary drive, booting to another drive, then access its data from there.

No Events found!