Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2015 12:00

Dell Studio 1558, Driver support?

Okay, once again I am back because of issues with my Dell Studio 1558.  This time,,, the issues being the video and chipset drivers.

I have been told by a tech support person that my chipset and video drivers are out of date. Intel's auto detect confirms an update for the chipset,,, but fails to install it. And unable to install it manually. My question is,,, if my drivers are out of date, where in blue blazes do I get the updated ones? After all, the AMD site and Intel say the manufacturer,,, but Dell only has the oldest version listed.

And will this also be an issue if I decided to upgrade the motherboard? If so,,, then I'll most likely be looking into a different brand for my next machine.

OH, and I am unable to use servicetag simply cause this is a refurbed machine.

system board cgy2y

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 18th, 2015 10:00

Explain what tech support person told you this because he was wrong. Laptops rarely if ever need driver updates because they are customized by Dell and all other manufacturers for the specific motherboard. Any updates will come from Dell. Intel's download page has the warning not to install any Intel driver updates on a laptop. It says get those from your computer maker. If Intel says your drivers are out of date, so is your computer. You are stuck with the drivers that came with the laptop new and the only update is recycle the 5 yr old computer and buy a newer one. Laptop motherboards cannot be upgraded.

Reinstall all your original drivers.Those are available at Dell Downloads if you search by model. You don't need a service tag.

10 Posts

July 24th, 2015 11:00

Okay,,, had an issue with a game that quit working properly on my system. Contacted their tech support and they had me download some log thingy and from their they told me that the chipset driver and video driver were out of date and likely the cause of the issue. (Turns out,,, the issue is the update to the game)

But I checked the auto-detect programs from AMD and Intel, and both confirmed that I was NOT using the latest version of the drivers, but were unable to install the latest ones. As is,,, half the drivers from the Dell site won't even install cause I am not using the Dell disk. This was a dead laptop when I got it, dead drive and dead motherboard. I refurbed it myself, and instead of Winows 7 home, I went with Windows 7 Ultimate. And since I used a Non- Dell disk, the drivers tend to not install.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 25th, 2015 02:00

Dell are always behind major OEMs such as Intel and AMD so its not unusual for them to offer newer drivers. At this stage its pointless to mess around with drivers I would advise waiting 4 days and upgrading to Windows 10 (providing you used genuine Windows).

10 Posts

July 28th, 2015 12:00

Already managed to update all the drivers. But also have my reserve for 10. And have since also cloned the drive JUST in case Windows 10 wants to be a pain and not allow me to use much of my current software. (Was hard enough getting Sims 2 to work on Windows 7 after all.)

No Events found!