Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2017 20:00

Dell USB Recovery Tool - how does it work?

Trying to get an operating system image to reinstall Windows 7 on a Studio XPS machine.

This KB page  directs me to download the Dell USB Recovery Tool.

The support page for this tool tells me to run the tool and enter the service tag. However the tool, when run, does not show the window as given on the support page, never prompts for the service tag, and doesn't appear to do anything useful.

This is what I see, instead of what is shown on the support page (nowhere to enter service tag):

So how do I get an OS image from this tool?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Eamon

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 05:00

Windows 7 recovery images are not available by download.  That option arrived with Windows 8 and 10.

The "USB recovery tool" -- used to be Dell Backup and Recovery - for 7 works with the hidden OS image on the hard drive and must  be made before a drive is damaged or the image is lost.  

Dell no longer supplies Windows 7 images.

November 17th, 2017 12:00

how does one get to the " the hidden OS image on the hard drive "?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 17:00

If the boot sector is intact, F8 before Windows loads.  If it's not, you'll need to build boot media with ImageX to access it.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 27th, 2017 03:00

The Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation .iso is only downloadable using a newer Skylake system. You are better to use Windows 10 Version 1709 Installation Media from Microsoft. More details here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-1709/ 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 27th, 2017 06:00

Windows 7 recovery images are not available by download.  That option arrived with Windows 8 and 10.

The "USB recovery tool" -- used to be Dell Backup and Recovery - for 7 works with the hidden OS image on the hard drive and must  be made before a drive is damaged or the image is lost.  

Dell no longer supplies Windows 7 images.

No true.

Using Service Tag for my Latitude E6320, I used Dell OS Recovery Tool and downloaded Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ISO (7 GB) to my hard drive. 

Did it this weekend.  Took over 5 hours for the ISO to download on my slow internet connection.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln299044/how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-windows-recovery-image?lang=en#Create_Recovery_Media

No Events found!