Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2014 14:00

Dell inspiron 1545 reinstalling OS issues

Dell! I am sick of trying to find a solution to this no boot sector. I am not going to pay $129 to get you to explain to me why your <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> product doesn't work, especially after i've already wasted $50 replacing the worthless hard drive; why it won't allow me to reinstall windows 7 and have a functional laptop again. I want a satisfactory answer as to why the reinstall disk won't work or I will never buy another dell piece of <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> ever again. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> you

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

January 14th, 2014 01:00

Hi Masond5150,

We regret inconvenience cause to you.

I would suggest you to reset BIOS to default.

Insert Operating System Disk.

Restart system and press F2 for BIOS menu.

Open Maintenance and select Load defaults.

After loading BIOS default, Save and Exit.

When System restarts tap F12 for One time Boot menu and select "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive".

Press Enter for system to boot using the Operating System Disk.

For Windows Installation, refer to the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/1bhOtOj

As you mentioned it is a new hard drive, please create a partition on the hard drive. Create Hard drive partition from the unallocated space.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

5 Posts

January 14th, 2014 17:00

As you mentioned it is a new hard drive, please create a partition on the hard drive. Create Hard drive partition from the unallocated space.

how do I do this?   I don't see any such option for creating a partition

5 Posts

January 14th, 2014 18:00

Seriously, this is ridiculous!   Just wasting time with f1 f2 f5 and f12 and going nowhere.   I'm about to trash this laptop and buy an hp.   I just keep getting "no boot sector on internal hard drive" and "no bootable devices".  [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed per TOU] is wrong with dell?   

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2014 20:00

Installing Windows is not rocket science, but it's not for everyone either (what you are seeing is a hardware/Windows 'thing' and not a Dell 'thing').  If it's too much, take it into a repair shop or call a friend or family member to help you, and we'll just chalk this up to 'user error'.  If you actually want some help, then - politely - ask for it. 

5 Posts

January 14th, 2014 21:00

In that case, I ask [as sweetly and politely as my last ounce of patience will allow] if you would please explain the alleged "user error".   

5 Posts

January 14th, 2014 21:00

I didn't think so.  Also wondering how many Dell techs have completely ignored this thread instead of providing a straightforward, workable answer to my question.   Amazing that this company is still in business!  

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 15th, 2014 05:00

Follow Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

If you are using media made by any Dell utility such as DataSafe/Dell Backup and Recovery disregard it as they are more prone to having problems. In your case it seems like the system isn't recognising the media; likely it is corrupt and hence unbootable. Use a Digital River .iso instead to create a Windows Reinstallation USB:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/

No Events found!