Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 2nd, 2006 15:00

Error message: "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction"

Upon boot-up, I now receive this error message: " Unable to log you in because of an account restriction."

Computer is a Dell Dimension 4400.

I'm unable to change the User Name from Administrator and unable to bypass the Password box, or even enter anything into it. Finally, i'm unable to boot up in Safe Mode by hitting F8 during boot-up. What a mess!

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

Message Edited by monfried on 08-02-200601:10 PM

2.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2006 16:00

Hi

if Wondows Xp home you make Accout administrator right  for Earl

from Chris

12.7K Posts

August 2nd, 2006 16:00

read here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290109

now tell us more about not being able to boot into safe mode, be specific. What happens when you F8 and tell it to use safe mode??

Message Edited by mombodog on 08-02-200612:33 PM

20 Posts

August 2nd, 2006 20:00

Mombodog -

Thanks. Got it going - finally. Seems much of the problem was caused by a file called GTgina.dll, a file installed by Linksys for its wireless routers. There's a conflict between that file and XP, which has been widely written about if you do a Google search. Anyway, all is well now. Thanks, again.

Dave

2 Posts

October 20th, 2007 15:00

When I turned on my Dell Latitude D800 this morning, I reached the "Log On to Windows" (Windows XP Professional) screen.  Entered my correct User name and Password, then received the Logon Message:  Unable to log you on because of an account restriction.  I am having the same problems Monfried had on 08-02-2006, and I see that he was able to solve the problem, but I don't know how.  I do have a Linksys wireless router, but the other three computers on the system are having no log-in problems. 

Help!

12.7K Posts

October 20th, 2007 16:00

Laptop May, google is your Friend.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2007 20:00

Thanks for the Google link.  However, this doesn't seem to be my problem.  The Linksys Wireless USB device is plugged into my desktop, but I'm not using the program, just the hardware (I spent many an hour with the Linksys support people figuring out what was going wrong with my connection, and it turned out that the Linksys software was interfering with the Windows wireless software, so we disabled the Linksys software, and I've had no further problems with the wireless connection). 

Anyway, the desktop, and another laptop are having no log-in difficulties...just my other laptop, which has its own bluetooth/wireless connection.  And it's just that computer that won't let me get past the LogOn screen.  When I tried to log in via Safe mode, it still brings me to the same LogOn screen, which still gives the "unable to log you on because of an account restriction" message when I type in the correct User name and Password.

Has anyone seen this error message OUTSIDE of the context of the GTgina.dll issue...a search for the file on the desktop using the Linksys device does not even show the file is active.

Thanks.

12.7K Posts

October 20th, 2007 23:00

No Events found!