Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2012 07:00

Factory Image Restore Latitude D630 Windows Vista 32-bits English

Good day.

As many people here, I'm having trouble restoring my laptop to the original settings. I have a Latitude D630 with 2GB RAM. Originally it came with Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bits English, but recently I decided to try Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, so I did a clean install removing the previous installation of Vista (C drive). However, as far as I remember, the RECOVERY partition (E drive) remained untouched. And I don't remember having touched it, knowing it was the only thing Dell provided to restore my laptop in times of troubles.

Now, after a while, my laptop has been crashing and getting so slow that I decided to downgrade it to the original version and reinstall the applications, 'cuz I didn't have problems with Vista.

I started looking for the way to restore the original OS, since my laptop didn't come with any CD/DVDs, only with the famous partition. I've found many posts, official websites, etc on how to reach the restore menu from the Boot menu by pressing F8, etc. But after doing it and logging with my user (included in the Administrator User Group), I didn't get the option at the end of the menu to restore using the Dell factory settings. That made sense to me since the menu is part of the Windows 7 OS Recovery utilities (which I didn't get by means of Dell), so I decided to download Dell's Backup and Recovery Manager hoping it would recognize the partition, but unfortunately I got an error (You have not created a backup. Dell recommends you create at least one backup to use to recover your system, if needed.) and no matter how many options I looked at, the app wasn't able to find any backup.

Then I went to look at the partition itself to see if I could find any .exe that'd help itself get restored, but unfortunately got no success either. However, I noted that out of the 2GB assigned to the partition, only 633MB are actually used. The following are the folders and files contained>

dell

Program Files

Program Data (hidden)

sources

Tools

Users

Windows

Boot.BAK

I also found that the dell folder is empty.

Does anyone know if I can still use that partition to restore my system or do I have to get a DVD and do it the old way?

Thanks

1.1K Posts

October 14th, 2012 08:00

Hi NelsonAponte,

Since the system is running slow, I will recommend you to run the diagnostics on your system to check the hardware functionality:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using down arrow key and press enter.
  • The diagnostics should begin.
  • The color bars may display. Press 'Y' when you see the color bars.

Please let me know if you get any error code; I will need the exact error code/error message.

Usually the recovery partition is inaccessible if the windows partition has been deleted, however, you can also try and initiate 'PC restore.exe' within the operating system. Browse to D:< Dell< Tools< PC restore.exe. Double click on it to initiate factory restore.

Note: Please backup all your data as you will lose everything saved on your system. This includes all your pictures, music, documents etc.

If you do not find 'PC restore.exe' file, I would need your system's Service tag to proceed further.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

December 26th, 2012 23:00

Hi ethio,

We need to ensure that the operating system is installed in the correct procedure. Below link would help you in reinstalling windows step by step:

http://dell.to/GSCqvg

If the issue persists, run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding Fn and power button simultaneously. Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

December 26th, 2012 23:00

I bought used Dell d630 laptop which has no operating system installed on it. As I try to install win xp, it finishes formatting and couldn't go to Widows. It just restarts over and over again.

Can you please suggest a solution?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 27th, 2012 05:00

1 Message

March 27th, 2013 18:00

hey how you doing i been trying to do a system recovery on my laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 but i cant find a way to do a system recovery to make it factory settings if you can help me and let me know i will appriciate it thank you 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2013 19:00

It depends what have you done? Also do you want factory settings or clean installation. Have you made recovery media or tried restoring from the internal partition?

See these tutorial videos here:

No Events found!