Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2010 08:00

Flash problem!

Okay this drove me NUTS, I have tried everything, I even went ahead and formated the computer and re installed Flash player.. some websites work and some not, for example, youtube works, but yahoo videos doesn't... facebook applications do not work.. can't think of anymore websites.

This is NOT just on my desktop, its on both the laptop and desktop.

Things I tried.

Uninstall through the official flash uninstaller

formated :)

changed network on my laptop (thought it could be my router)

I tried installing different browsers, Firefox, Firefox Beta, IE8 which is on. installed Java.

I tried chrome a couple of times and it seems to work on my laptop! because it has the flash inbuilt I guess! 

went over to my brothers computer and checked, his works with every browser!

this is some info about my laptop if this helps!

Studio XPS 16 Notebook

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 - 1GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

my desktop

XPS 9000

Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor 2.67 9GB DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

my friend looked into it for a bit and he said its not a flash issue, but what could it be if not a flash issue!

6.4K Posts

September 11th, 2010 18:00

I wish I could give you a positive solution, but even though I've had the problem myself on previous Windows versions, it has always been hit or miss.  If you can install the flash plug-in and have the indication from the Adobe site that installation is successful, you most likely have a settings problem.  The headache on this is that the settings could be wrong either in the browser or the software firewall if you have one.

To narrow it down a bit you could temporarily disable the firewall to see if the problem disappears.  If you can get the flash videos to play while the firewall is down you need to find the setting there that is blocking the commands from the web site.  If that doesn't help you most likely have a setting on the browser that is causing you trouble.  The worry for a lot of this is that the videos depend upon Java or ActiveX being allowed, which can also cause trouble with malware.

Don't forget to re-enable the firewall when your check is complete, although if you are using a router that usually helps keep out the bad stuff all by itself.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 13th, 2010 19:00

nizoo,

Windows 64-bit systems have three versions of Internet Explorer. Click start, in search type Internet. You should see something like this

Use the version that does NOT have (64-bit) after it. Flash player is not supported on 64-bit systems.

Try testing your flash and shockwave players. Adobe Test Shockwave and Flash Players

Internet Explorer uses a different version of flash player than Mozilla Firefox, Safari and the many other browsers. You'll need to test the flash player on each browser.

Rick 

881 Posts

September 13th, 2010 19:00

Yep. That's the only way to insure everything works as it should.

Jeff :emotion-22:

19 Posts

September 15th, 2010 21:00

Good to know...I'm going to save that in my techie file.  I heard of this issue, who knew it would be so easy to fix...thanks Rick, I've gotten a few good answers from you today....thanks...btw....it must be exhausting to know all this stuff...I afraid I don't suffer from that afliction. :emotion-7:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2010 02:00

Morath,

I too, have learned for others by asking questions. I just enjoy sharing the information with others, so they can get help as well.

Rick

No Events found!