Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2009 21:00

Hal.dll missing/corrupted

So yesterday I had that happen to me and today was able to find the step by step instructions on dell to fix it with the installation cd. Problem now is every time I restart my computer that comes up and I have to go through the entire process again. Anyone have any idea?

6 Posts

June 11th, 2009 22:00

it could be that the windows is already corrupted. better back up your files and reinstall windows. dont forget to download and save the drivers from support.dell.com if you don't have the drivers and utilities cd or the resource cd.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

June 12th, 2009 02:00

Hi hobboebob, There is an support journal HERE on your Hal.dll, you did not say what system you have, but this journal covers all models. Hope this helps.

2 Posts

June 12th, 2009 08:00

I already did that. When I restart or shutdown my computer I have to go through that process everytime. The file is there in the system32 file so I guess it is corrupted. Any clue on that? I'm not gonna re-do my entire computer not an option takes too much time for something that isn't needed.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 12th, 2009 08:00

Pardon the dumb question, but did you remove the install cd from the drive?

1.1K Posts

June 12th, 2009 18:00

hobboebob

Still don’t know if its XP or Vista, anyway try the following

1. If you suspect present System32 Hal.dll is corrupt, then rename it oldHal.dll

Then copy Hal.dll file from C:\windows\servicepackfiles folder to C:\Windows\system32 folder

Reboot then clean up windows paths in boot ini

If that doesn’t fix the problem

2. Suggest you run hardware diagnostics

If any HDD errors it may just be mobo/HDD data cable/connection issue, otherwise bad HDD/sectors

If bad HDD/sectors then you had better save ALL personal data (a.s.a.p.) to external media (e.g. USB flash drive, CDs etc)

3. If NO hardware errors, you need to do a Clean Install using correct Dell OEM Windows CD

Dell procedure is here

No Events found!