Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2008 02:00

Hiding the recovery partition in Vista?

I've got an XPS 420 with Vista Premium and I was wondering if I could hide the recovery drive when in Windows. Right now it's assigned to D:\ and I'd like this to be my DVD like it is on a system without a recovery partition.

I know roughly how to remove a drive letter and how to change it to something else. What I don't know if how this will impact on my PC. Can I remove the drive letter or change it without breaking something else?

2.7K Posts

November 17th, 2008 15:00

Hi
Yes it can be hidden you go to the command prompt and run it as adminstrator you will
see c:\windows\system32
you type cd\
you will see
c:\
type diskpart
you will see
diskpart>
you type sel dis 0
it will say dis 0 is selected
then you type sel par 2
it will say it is selected
you type
set id=de it may say the par is in use but you can type
set id=de override

And doing this has no efftect on the Dell F8 Recovery at all
If you need it to be unhidden
you do the above but you type set id=07 make sure there is a space between set and id=de or set  id=07

I have did this on several computers to hide the Recovery par !!
If you ask any question on the please ask them OK !!
Good Luck

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 17th, 2008 03:00

What Model PC?  and What Operating System?  This needs to be on ANY initial problem post.  Without it we can't give you specific assistance with your PC, just some general suggestions or information.

What happened to cause the original problem?  Did you do a complete reinstall?  Did you update or add a program?  Did you accidentally delete something?  More than "it doesn't work" is needed for someone to try and help you with the problem. 

There are Dell drivers that can be downloaded but without the model and operating system, we can't point you to the correct drivers.  You MUST use the Dell drivers or the sound will not work or work correctly.  SigmaTel (now called IDT) drivers from other vendors, including the Microsoft downloads, will not work.

137 Posts

November 17th, 2008 04:00

I think that you have misunderstood. There are no errors and no original problem. All that I want to know is whether or not I can hide hide/change the drive letter for the recovery partition without doing harm elsewhere. For example, is a Windows drive letter required to recover during the boot cycle, and if I were to change if from D:\ to E:\ would it create any trouble?

FYI: I stated the PC model and the OS on the very first line of my post. XPS 420 with Vista Premium. It's SP1.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2008 15:00

Hi .

As much as i know , the microsoft tool for partitioning and managing hard drives does not allow the user to hide an partition from withing the program.

But with the use of programs like Partition Magic or Paragon HardDisk Manager  it is very easy to hide the recovery partition.

But you should also have in mind that when you hide that partition in case of emergency it might be hard to restore your computer.

Give it a thought.

Cheers.

137 Posts

November 18th, 2008 00:00

OK, that was mostly what I needed to know. I has no effect on the F8 recovery. Does Windows use this partition at all?

If Windows doens't use this partition at all, ever, wouldn't it just be easier to go into the windows disc management tool and hit "Remove" on the the drive letter selection dialog. It's pretty easy to do this under XP. I do this all the time when I want to work with external drives that have a FAT 16 boot partition and a data partition (Cross platform bootable backup/recovery devices, etc) and I want to keep my drive listing uncluttered.

I take it that this is still possible under Vista?

2.7K Posts

November 18th, 2008 10:00

Hi

I am not sure what you are asking here but yes you can use remove in disk manager and it will take the drive letter away .

And you can use the drive letter for some othe device , but if you leave recovery that way {if i remember right} if you use F8 to restore your computer the restore partition will still be rename the par to OEM as in set id=de for some reason i think this happen to one of my OS on my laptop .

And if your usb drive or internal drive is not ntfs formatted Vista will not use it for backups Vista will not backup to a FAT 16 or a FAT 32 drive

it will give you some kind of error message !

And please forgive my typing i am using just my right hand to type this i broke my left hand and i am left hanned so my typing not up to par on this ..

If you are asking some thing else can you give more info as to what you are asking ?

Good Luck  

137 Posts

November 19th, 2008 00:00

And if your usb drive or internal drive is not ntfs formatted Vista will not use it for backups Vista will not backup to a FAT 16 or a FAT 32 drive

You don't backup to a FAT16 partition on an external backup device, you boot from it. You have a second NTFS partition to store the data on. This is why it doesn't need a Windows drive letter, Windows has no need to know that it even exists.

2.7K Posts

November 19th, 2008 10:00

Hi

I must have hit the wrong key so had to edit this

Now it makes sence now how you do it !!:emotion-2:

Good Luck

No Events found!